Windows 10 upgrade to V.1511, 10586 failed again

Reaction score
Once again, Windows 10 pro 32bit upgrade failed when it reached 71% installed.
I have an ASUS H81M-PLUS MB with intel core i7 processor.
As on previous attempts, a small window appeared with the caption "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"
Below the caption was a small red circle with a cross in it and below that an uncaptioned button
Clicking on the button resulted in a message "Restoring previous Version of Windows"
It then proceeded to do just that.

Having read other posts on this thread, for this attempt I disconnected all USB3 peripherals so that isn't the problem.

Guess we'll live with Windows 10 un-upgraded unless someone is able to suggest a way around this problem.

One lives in diminishing hope of a solution.
This is getting annoying!

Last edited:
Reaction score
If your CPU is a I7 why are you using a 32 bit O/S ?
Direct upgrade from windows 8.1 pro - I'm happy with 32bit but need to get past the apparent bug in win10 1511 upgrade - don't think this is related to the i7 processor.

Reaction score
I had that problem solved for me with a tip from Floridagal. Here is her post:

"One thing I have found slows down updates tremendously is a feature in the Windows Update - Advanced Options. Look under Choose How Updates Are Delivered. Turn OFF the option for getting updates from more than one place. After I tuned that off my updates come in fine. Don't know what that option is supposed to improve, but all I know is that it does not improve anything. In fact it just slows things down."

Reaction score
I had that problem solved for me with a tip from Floridagal. Here is her post:

"One thing I have found slows down updates tremendously is a feature in the Windows Update - Advanced Options. Look under Choose How Updates Are Delivered. Turn OFF the option for getting updates from more than one place. After I tuned that off my updates come in fine. Don't know what that option is supposed to improve, but all I know is that it does not improve anything. In fact it just slows things down."

Thanks for that, I've turned it off but I'll leave things until MS decides to try upgrading again - seems to be a 2 weekly cycle so another week to go!

Reaction score
I had major issues upgrading a desktop PC to Windows 10. This was an ASUS motherboard. Not sure if there is any correlation with ASUS or not.

Kept doing the same thing as yours. I managed to solve it by doing what I used to do to older servers that wouldn't install properly - namely, reset the keyboard AND the language settings to United States before running the upgrade.

I'd spent about 5 days getting the Update Failed message (actually it said "Something went wrong"). Yeah, that's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Tried everything. I dismissed the hardware as is was all fairly recent and was working fine on my W7 installation. It was all good quality stuff - then had a brainwave and tried the settings. Worked first time.

Anyway, setting these settings to U.S. solved the install issues and everything went like a dream. It might not work for you but it's definitely worth a shot. Good luck.

Reaction score
I had major issues upgrading a desktop PC to Windows 10. This was an ASUS motherboard. Not sure if there is any correlation with ASUS or not.

Kept doing the same thing as yours. I managed to solve it by doing what I used to do to older servers that wouldn't install properly - namely, reset the keyboard AND the language settings to United States before running the upgrade.

I'd spent about 5 days getting the Update Failed message (actually it said "Something went wrong"). Yeah, that's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Tried everything. I dismissed the hardware as is was all fairly recent and was working fine on my W7 installation. It was all good quality stuff - then had a brainwave and tried the settings. Worked first time.

Anyway, setting these settings to U.S. solved the install issues and everything went like a dream. It might not work for you but it's definitely worth a shot. Good luck.
Thanks Gaztech, I've now done that - it'll be interesting to see whether I get a clear upgrade. This really isn't a good look for MS!

Reaction score
Well, after more than a month I finally decided to download Win10_1511_EnglishInternational_x32.iso and try to upgrade for a last time.
It took me through "Checking for updates"; then through "Installing Windows 10" and finally arrived at the screen "Updating Windows: Your PC will restart several times"
When it got into the "Installing Features and Drivers" it went through 91% of them, then stalled with a small window titled "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library". Unlike on previous attempts I left the window without clicking the untitled button it displayed. The window finally disappeared and the upgrade stalled for a very long time before I finally decided enough was enough and restarted the computer manually.

This time, after the previous version of Windows 10 had been restored, it displayed a message saying:
0xC1900101-0x3000D
The installation failed in the FIRST_B OOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA

However it provided no solution nor any information when I clicked on the "Troubleshooting tips" option displayed.

This is no longer humorous - It appears that the windows system has become too labyrinthine for MS to handle and they've given up on it all -- I have to say, so have I.

Sad, but, after a 30 year association with the platform, I think that it has reached its "Use By" date.

Bill

Reaction score
I face the same problem. I have an ASUS Transformer T100TA, and it only accepts build 10240. The 1511 upgrade (build 10586) is simply impossible to install. As we can detach the keyboard (that has an 500 GB hd) from the video, I've tried to install with and without the keyboard (the video has a 32GB SSD), and so many advices I've found in several forums. Among so many possibilities, I've tried to install not less than 20 times, believe or not. Of course I've also updated with the available drivers, bios and so forth. Nothing has worked. It always hangs somewhere during the upgrade process.

Oh, I've also talked with ASUS (looking after new drivers and bios): they said this was Microsoft's issue, so I'd had to talk to them. And so I talked with Microsoft, that said this was ASUS' problem.

Simple as that: nobody seems to be worried with this issue.

Finally I gave up, and lately my strategy is to hide this update in Windows Update with a special tool they placed on the web. From time to time I "unhide" it, and try to see if something new makes it work. No success till this time.

So, if someone has another idea, I'd really be grateful.

Thank you guys.

Reaction score
I face the same problem. I have an ASUS Transformer T100TA, and it only accepts build 10240. The 1511 upgrade (build 10586) is simply impossible to install. As we can detach the keyboard (that has an 500 GB hd) from the video, I've tried to install with and without the keyboard (the video has a 32GB SSD), and so many advices I've found in several forums. Among so many possibilities, I've tried to install not less than 20 times, believe or not. Of course I've also updated with the available drivers, bios and so forth. Nothing has worked. It always hangs somewhere during the upgrade process.

Oh, I've also talked with ASUS (looking after new drivers and bios): they said this was Microsoft's issue, so I'd had to talk to them. And so I talked with Microsoft, that said this was ASUS' problem.

Simple as that: nobody seems to be worried with this issue.

Finally I gave up, and lately my strategy is to hide this update in Windows Update with a special tool they placed on the web. From time to time I "unhide" it, and try to see if something new makes it work. No success till this time.

So, if someone has another idea, I'd really be grateful.

Thank you guys.
Greetings,
Having failed (and given up) attempting to upgrade to 1511, I have since found that a major problem in my system is that I have Intel HD Graphics 4600 - with an i7 processor - and the version of the driver which Microsoft attempts to install is not compatible with Windows 10!!!

I've resolved this by getting an old version of the 4600 driver from Intel (10.18.10.4252) which works on Windows 10 but not on the upgraded version, and hiding Microsoft's updating attempts at driver installation (using wushowhide.diagcab from Microsoft - just download it and follow the steps) .

Microsoft is no longer attempting to upgrade my computer to 1511 so I guess they've at least got that far in responding to what is clearly their problem!

Reaction score
After spending more than a day working with 6 or 7 level one techs at MS windows 10 support to try to upgrade to 1511, I tried to escalate the problem. Guess what? to do that I need a Technical Support Plan that will cost me only .... Tried to talk to a supervisor and after a short conversation in which I explained that I should not have to pay for solutions to their problematic OS, got cut off. How surprising. (He did try to call back, but since my phone showed we were still connected, he must have gotten a busy signal. And of course there is no way for me to reconnect to a person.)

A friend of a friend works for MS on Windows 10: his advice (that I got too late): Don't upgrade from Windows 7 or 8!

Reaction score
After spending more than a day working with 6 or 7 level one techs at MS windows 10 support to try to upgrade to 1511, I tried to escalate the problem. Guess what? to do that I need a Technical Support Plan that will cost me only .... Tried to talk to a supervisor and after a short conversation in which I explained that I should not have to pay for solutions to their problematic OS, got cut off. How surprising. (He did try to call back, but since my phone showed we were still connected, he must have gotten a busy signal. And of course there is no way for me to reconnect to a person.)

A friend of a friend works for MS on Windows 10: his advice (that I got too late): Don't upgrade from Windows 7 or 8!
You are more persistent than I am! I have found that, leaving Windows 10 un-upgraded, it still receives various windows 10 updates etc. and works perfectly well provided you don't try upgrading !!!!

So, my advice would be, don't waste your money pursuing this further, they obviously have no real idea why the upgrade isn't working and are not particularly interested in finding out why.

Their updating still, from time to time, tries to replace my currently working Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver with the version they have - which throws an error when it is attempted - but apart from that I simply let updating do whatever it does and ignore the 'problems' it lists.
Bill

Ask a Question