Windows 10 upgrade.

Reaction score
Hi after several attempts at auto upgrade my laptop is still running win 7,
I am a computer novice, a 70 year old novice at that, I have read many suggestions on differing sites how to solve the problem but I have not the skills to perform them.
My question is if I just sit tight will it eventually upgrade or do I just forget about it ever happening.
I have a Dell Inspiron.

Reaction score
Don't really understand what you're getting at. Are you waiting for confirmation of the upgrade? Or have you started the upgrade process, and it's not completing? You can download the media creation tool if you're just waiting for confirmation. You can create an iso and burn it to dvd or flash drive. Or you can start the upgrade process inside windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am a computer novice,
This upgrade may not be for you. No disrespect intended but a certain level of proficiency may be needed if something unforeseeable happens.
My question is if I just sit tight will it eventually upgrade or do I just forget about it ever happening.
That would be my recommendation.

You have a year (July 29th 2016) before the free upgrade offer expires.
Hopefully, somewhere during that interim, some of the kinks will be worked out of the process and it will be less risky.

Reaction score
Don't really understand what you're getting at. Are you waiting for confirmation of the upgrade? Or have you started the upgrade process, and it's not completing? You can download the media creation tool if you're just waiting for confirmation. You can create an iso and burn it to dvd or flash drive. Or you can start the upgrade process inside windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install
Hi thanks for your response and sorry about my lack of clarity. I have the windows upgrade icon and the notification of windows pending arrival. Each morning I check windows update and see a new message, ( upgrade to win 10 and update failed), my question is will it eventually be (upgrade successful) without my having to do anything.

Reaction score
I do t
Hi thanks for your response and sorry about my lack of clarity. I have the windows upgrade icon and the notification of windows pending arrival. Each morning I check windows update and see a new message, ( upgrade to win 10 and update failed), my question is will it eventually be (upgrade successful) without my having to do anything.
I just want to say that I'm not a complete novice and much younger. I'm having an issue with the upgrade being stuck in personalized settings and a blank screen.
Some of the replies that you've received are telling of a typical windows forum, rude, condescending and ass*^%#^*. This is my only laptop(toshiba satellite) , TF. Everything else I own is apple and their forums are much more accepting and someone can always answer your questions . In my novice opinion if you've accepted or given the go ahead for the upgrade to start , meaning you've been given the choice of date and time and then chosen one of thse options on your screen and have seen the actual clock with the % rates, it has started . If you only have the icon that states you have a pending upgrade and nothing happened as to what I described , then you have an issue and no , it won't automatically download/ update , whatever .
I'm sorry I can't be of more help .

Reaction score
I do t

I just want to say that I'm not a complete novice and much younger. I'm having an issue with the upgrade being stuck in personalized settings and a blank screen.
Some of the replies that you've received are telling of a typical windows forum, rude, condescending and ass*^%#^*. This is my only laptop(toshiba satellite) , TF. Everything else I own is apple and their forums are much more accepting and someone can always answer your questions . In my novice opinion if you've accepted or given the go ahead for the upgrade to start , meaning you've been given the choice of date and time and then chosen one of thse options on your screen and have seen the actual clock with the % rates, it has started . If you only have the icon that states you have a pending upgrade and nothing happened as to what I described , then you have an issue and no , it won't automatically download/ update , whatever .
I'm sorry I can't be of more help .
I don't know how you read that in to it. No one is being condescending. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't spoon feed their customers like Apple (for better or worse). The upgrade may not be for the OP right now. There are several issues with it at the moment (especially with laptops and their proprietary drivers). It may be best to wait, in that case, until laptop manufactures actually update their drivers.

Ask a Question