Windows 10 using 100 Disk stalls on update

Reaction score
Hi
I have been trying with no success to get rid of the 100 Disk usage. My computer for the last week or so, will work fine for a few hours and then the "disk" shows 100% in Task manager and loading any new window or website takes upwards of 10 minutes. I had the same problem last nite, and expected it to be fine this morning. Low and behold, when I woke my computer up it shows

"configuring update for Windows 10"
12% complete
do not turn off computer.

It has been like this for 6 hours, anyone know what I should do.
I have a HP all in one computer if it makes a difference.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Terry

Reaction score
Well after another 6 hrs the computer restarted on its own. The disk usage still shows 100 so I don't know what if anything happened with the update.
Terry

Reaction score
Check Task Manager and see what programs are running when this event happens. What anti virus program are you running?

Reaction score
I'm using Comodo. It finds no problems. I can't do anything while it shows 100% disk in task manager. I timed opening task manager this morning and it was almost 9 minutes to open it. Task manager doesn't show anything opened that is using more than 1 % disk usage.
Ready to throw it out but I need the data first

Reaction score
Sometimes an anti-virus utility can be the problem, not actual viruses, which might have been what Norton was getting at.

If you don't see anything in Task Manager, even with the column selected to show the most usage at the top, you might try opening the Resource Monitor with the link on the Performance tab and check the disk tab for activity.

Reaction score
Try temporarily closing Comodo I'm sure you will see an improvement in disk usage, if so I would recommend another antivirus program. I checked out Comodo review PC Mag I didn't like what I saw.

Comodo: Autorun management.
Cons Firewall program control turned off by default. Auto-sandbox feature seriously interfered with valid programs. Poor score in malicious URL blocking test. Mixed scores in independent lab tests. Failed antiphishing test. Identified two valid programs as malware

Last edited:
Reaction score
I downloaded Comodo only After I started getting the 100% disk usage in an attempt to fix the problem, before that I was just using the Windows antivirus.
I am still having the problem and it's very painful trying to use the computer.

Reaction score
Happy New Year
Before doing anything rash (usually my problem) look up the program Reimage.
I am using it already for over a year without a hitch and always with good results.
What is does is to check your Windows OS and finds out what is (if any ) problem (almost always there is some)
The Fix - the second part of the program removes all damaged, corrupted, no longer used files, and replaces all with completely new files from its Windows repository.
OS is just like a brand new OS from the box. It does not fix any 3d party programs, but lists which ones crashed. Those you can remove and reinstall later. 100% drive full should be no longer the problem.
It is not a free program but worth many times the price as it does the fixing for you - for real - no BS.
If the Upgrade is not installing after this fix, it is definitely screwed up and botched installation is no fault of your OS.
(the original upgrade from Win version 8.1 fried my MOBO and also damaged HDD acting same way as yours now)

Ask a Question