windows 10 version 1607 will not install past 40%

Reaction score
Hi I am trying to update windows 10 version 1511 to 1607. I seem to be able to download this version ok but when installing the updates my pc freezes at 40%. I have been in touch with Microsoft and after two hours with the helpdesk they downloaded the latest version and said that it should now install ok, but unfortunately the problem still occurs and the pc freezes at 40% has anyone else had the same problems and does anybody know how to fix this. Any help appreciated Regards Andy

Reaction score
I had this problem with the last Insider Preview. The only way I was able to finish was to download the newest install media and install it, but blowing away the entire installation with a completely fresh install after formatting the drive. But during the new install, it paused for a loooonnnng time at around 45%.

I assume you have waited a long time after the freeze this time? If so, I would move the drive to another system, try to recover any important files and then wipe it and start fresh.

Ask a Question