Windows 10 Version 2004 Updates

Reaction score
My current OS Build is 19041.329.
All following updates: 19041.331, 19041.388, 19041.423 and 19041.450 failed to be installed either automatically or manually using MSU files in Microsoft
Update Catalog. The reason is they " are not applicable for my computer". How come then 19041.329 was successfully installed ?
I tried to check with Windows Update Troubleshooter utility finding nothing wrong as well as with command sfc /scannow.
I read that experts advising to reinstall Windows 10 Version 2004 as a clean boot or wait for future improvements by Microsoft with their current updates ( not rushing with this year updates at all ).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The reason is they " are not applicable for my computer". How come then 19041.329 was successfully installed ?
What you may be experiencing is something Microsoft calls a "compatibility hold".
It has persisted across multiple updates as well as into the most recent build.
Some have been resolved while other still are being investigated.

Read the following and see if you may have anything in your current configuration that might apply

Reaction score
I read the recommended by you article and did not find anything that could be applicable to my case.
Probably, I should wait until end of September letting Microsoft find a solution to their updates. Microsoft folks shall come up with a utility
that detects/states clearly the reason of failure because OS Build out 19041.329 was successfully installed on my computer.
Probably, there is time to put a thick end point to Microsoft's Windows 10 as OS - nothing lasts for ever...

Reaction score
I totally agree. I have been one f the lucky users. No serious problems wth updates, on my own compters or those of friends.
I have long wished that MS could provide a quick click that I do not want anymore updates other than those for Defender

Reaction score
I totally agree. I have been one f the lucky users. No serious problems wth updates, on my own compters or those of friends.
I have long wished that MS could provide a quick click that I do not want anymore updates other than those for Defender

I have been lucky so far too, more or less. However the "quick click" would defeat Microsofts concept for "Windows as a service". If they had done distributing the old way (by purchasing) this probably would have been possible, but then the User would be in charge. With WaaS Microsoft is in charge and the User can only stand there and reluctantly agree with their (MS) policies...

Reaction score
All following updates: 19041.331, 19041.388, 19041.423 and 19041.450 failed to be installed either automatically or manually using MSU files in Microsoft
Update Catalog. The reason is they " are not applicable for my computer". How come then 19041.329 was successfully installed ?
I tried to check with Windows Update Troubleshooter utility finding nothing wrong as well as with command sfc /scannow.
I read that experts advising to reinstall Windows 10 Version 2004 as a clean boot or wait for future improvements by Microsoft with their current updates ( not rushing with this year updates at all ).
if you have a good back up image. You might want to try an MCT Upgrade Install. Download the tool then download the ISO to your desktop. Right-click the ISO and open select setup.xxx chose to keep your files and Apps. This is similar to a clean install as it creates a new Windows install but keeps your files, programs, and apps. I personally always upgrade to the latest Feature upgrades this way. Many times with your issues this will work.

Reaction score
I have Version 2004 on several computers, main one and a few others have been updated to Build 19041.450, not seeing any major problems yet.

Reaction score
if you have a good back up image. You might want to try an MCT Upgrade Install. Download the tool then download the ISO to your desktop. Right-click the ISO and open select setup.xxx chose to keep your files and Apps. This is similar to a clean install as it creates a new Windows install but keeps your files, programs, and apps. I personally always upgrade to the latest Feature upgrades this way. Many times with your issues this will work.
Well, I tried as well as MCT Upgrade Install with options to keep my files and apps. In the beginning everything worked fine taking about an hour.
At end I got a window message: Windows 10 Pro update failed. I can share with any expert Panther logs ( from the path C:\$windows.~BT\Sources\Panther - files named Setupact.log and Setuperr.log where in a chronological order are described all processes
on my computer while the MCT tried to update.

Reaction score
Well, I tried as well as MCT Upgrade Install with options to keep my files and apps. In the beginning everything worked fine taking about an hour.
At end I got a window message: Windows 10 Pro update failed. I can share with any expert Panther logs ( from the path C:\$windows.~BT\Sources\Panther - files named Setupact.log and Setuperr.log where in a chronological order are described all processes
on my computer while the MCT tried to update.
Well if that doesn't work and you have run the DISM repair tools it looks like you be needing to Clean Install. I would verify my backups first so that you don't lose your data. ensure you can restore you data files.

Reaction score
Well if that doesn't work and you have run the DISM repair tools it looks like you be needing to Clean Install. I would verify my backups first so that you don't lose your data. ensure you can restore you data files.
Neither DISM or SFC tools show that my Windows system files are corrupted. I am not prepared to go with a Clean Install for two reasons:
I will lose my current Apps and clean install may not fix the observed issue.

Reaction score
Well, there you go then assume you're saying your hardware is not compatible with the upgrade you are going for.

Reaction score
If the hardware would be not compatible on my machine I could not upgrade it to OS 19041.329 ( ver.2004 ). I noticed another problem
I cannot more bring up NET Framework 3.5. When I click on Windows Features window it stays blank. I checked whether Windows Module
Installer is working etc. I tried with DISM tool to reinstall NetFX3 package using command prompt but it comes with an error 0X800f0805 -that is not a valid windows package. I looked at further in DISM Log file where I found "encountered an unknown "featurename" with value
"NetFX3" and encountered an unknown option "source" with value "C:\TEMP" failed opening package... The NetFX3.cab file I copied to the
folder "TEMP" from a valid source\sxs when I created with the current MCT tool ISO. image of OS 19041.329.
So, I stuck analyzing what are the issues with Windows 10. By the way, the current MCT tool supports OS 19041.329 only. Probably, next month Microsoft will upgrade it to 19041.450. When I use DISM tool it compares the System Health with Image 19041.329 not finding any corrupted system files.

Reaction score

What is the model of your computer/laptop and what windows are you running? As that could have certain things to do with these updates, the latest OS build “September 8, 2020—KB4571756 (OS Build 19041.508)” has installed perfectly on my Win-10 Pro on one of my laptops that is 7 years old and the version 2004 and all its OS builds have worked perfectly and faultlessly since its been released, as a matter of fact, the version 2004 and all its OS builds have really improved speeds and responsiveness on this 7 year old laptop.

Reaction score
Neither DISM or SFC tools show that my Windows system files are corrupted. I am not prepared to go with a Clean Install for two reasons:
I will lose my current Apps and clean install may not fix the observed issue.
As Clint says, it is possibly the only way to go. Many hardware compatibility issues have been solved in the 2004 release, and you may get a surprise to find all is working.
If you make an image, before you start the installation, you will lose nothing, and maybe solved all the problems.

Reaction score
What is the model of your computer/laptop and what windows are you running? As that could have certain things to do with these updates, the latest OS build “September 8, 2020—KB4571756 (OS Build 19041.508)” has installed perfectly on my Win-10 Pro on one of my laptops that is 7 years old and the version 2004 and all its OS builds have worked perfectly and faultlessly since its been released, as a matter of fact, the version 2004 and all its OS builds have really improved speeds and responsiveness on this 7 year old laptop.
My PC is DELL Dimension 9100 with Intel Pentium D CPU and I have been running on it Windows 10 Pro version 2004 ( OS Build 19041.329 ) since 6/2/2020.

Reaction score
Food for thought: Have you installed the latest SSU yet (Servicing stack update KB4577266)? It usually comes automatically and you can find it under [programs and features/installed updates] in the control panel.

just an idea...

Reaction score
Food for thought: Have you installed the latest SSU yet (Servicing stack update KB4577266)? It usually comes automatically and you can find it under [programs and features/installed updates] in the control panel.

just an idea...
Yes, I tried to install it. The response was - it is not applicable to my computer.

Reaction score
In one of my replies it is clearly indicated Win-10 Pro...
There's a lot of folks on many forums that do not fill in their System Specs so we still have to guess or ask. And Yes, some even get a bit testy when asked.

Ask a Question