Windows 10 versions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there anyone else, other than me or course, who thinks it's about time that Microsoft knocked it off with the various versions of their Operating System.
I mean really.... what's the point in having a "Home" (or whatever they may decide to call it) and a "Pro" version,
I guess I can see, some sense, in their maintaining an "Enterprise" version for those customers but deprecating various console snap-ins like lusrmgr.msc and gpedit.msc and such just doesn't seem to make anyone's life easier.

I think Windows 10 would be an excellent time, place and opportunity to give us one version and one version only on the consumer side.
If you don't want to join a domain, fine, don't.
If you don't want to use the various snap-ins that's OK too. No one is saying you have to. Just don't leave those things out for no apparent rhyme or reason.
One complete, comprehensive and robust platform that we can use and support, sounds good to me.

Reaction score
I agree. It was, at one time, worse. I believe that there will be the usual third offering, on final release - the one which you will get on your new computer purchase (basic)

I am sure that the publicity people in MS, would come up with a BS answer, but I think the bottom line, although I cannot see it, must be MONEY. I have always declined the "enterprise" for example.
With 10, for various reasons, I have had to use it on several occasions. I was astonished to find what little it meant, in reality, moving from one to the other. I doubt your everyday common user would even know which release he/she was using."Windows to go", might be the draw. Of course, this is not feature complete but, so far, This is what I could see at a quick glance:

Both are Windows builds 6.4.9841
In "Turn Windows features on or off," the only difference is the Enterprise version includes "Services for NFS,", which includes "Administrative Tools" and "Client for NFS," they are not activated.

Another oddity, even though the Enterprise version is supposed to include more features,.The Enterprise x64 ISO is smaller than the Pro (3.8GB vs. 3.9GB)
There are a couple of other larger features, but, the bottom line is that, the additions can easily be ignored, and there is no reason why they could not all be rolled into one.

Reaction score
I think it is just a marketing thing. Add the word professional or something similar to a product and your mind will automatically perceive it as being a ton better that the plain version even though it might only add a couple of features that you don't even need.

Ask a Question