Are you also having this issue?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
So today I installed windows 10, and I love it except one thing:

The volume is bugged. I'll be sitting watching youtube videos on Microsoft Edge, click next video and my ears will be blown off because for some reason, the volume is all the way at 100% until I tweak it with the function key on my keyboard, in which it says it's at 30% and the audio jumps down to 30%. This mostly happens with Edge, and since Edge does not have a spot in my volume mixer, there's something funky going on there.

Everytime Edge loads a new video or audio element, the volume will jump to 100%, also sometimes when I switch between tabs, it will do the same.

I've also had Windows notification sounds jump to 100% in the volume mixer too. This is very frustrating as I am sometimes using a studio monitor, and having that blow because of a bug is just silly.

Is there any known issues with volume and Windows 10?

I should also mention that there is no headphone device in the volume settings, which there were before the upgrade.

I originally posted this question on Super User, but it didn't get any attention and I really need to solve this problem:
http://superuser.com/questions/948602/windows-10-volume-jumps-to-100-on-random

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Enitoni and welcome to the forum.
The real value of community forums such as this is, posting and describing your problem (which you have done well) and then sharing some specifics with respect to the hardware involved, so that other members or guests who may have a similar issue might join the conversation with either a " me too " or perhaps a potential solution which they may have discovered worked for them. So.......

What audio card do you have in your computer?
What driver version are you currently using?
Is it the latest available from the specific device manufacturer or is it just the one that Windows 10 supplied by way of the upgrade and perhaps subsequent Windows Updates?

Additionally since we seem to be focused primarily on Edge..... does any other browser produce the same problem? As you know, Edge is brand new and I suspect over the coming days and weeks there will likely be updates to address some problems with Edge as well as Windows 10.
They've taken the little smiley face direct feedback out of Edge, but the Windows Feedback App is still there and a good place to report such issues and Edge and IE have their own little corner of that world.

Reaction score
The issue only happens with Edge, and the weird thing is that Edge does not appear in my volume mixer. My soundcard is a realtek with latest realtek drivers installed, note that this worked fine before the upgrade to Windows 10.

I've tried this with Chrome and Firefox and could not reproduce the problem, though I really like Edge and it's features so I want to keep using it.

And let me mention again that it's not only edge that will do this ocasionally, indeed the system sounds will periodically jump up to 100% also.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hopefully it's just an issue with the Realtek driver.
I noticed their latest is from June and includes reference to Windows 10 but, ....
with all the new things happening regarding windows 10, as well as associated Store Apps, perhaps they'll do a newer one soon that will do a better job handling the new APIs.

Reaction score
I've got it and understand the problem.

The Problem : When your computer turns on it's set to a specific volume (or at least the computer thinks it is). While you can raise or lower the volume, the other applications don't seem to recognize this change and the volume stays on the original level. This is most annoying when it's stuck on loud. I'm running windows 10 64bit.

The Solution : Get new audio drivers. So I completely removed and uninstalled my audio drivers before I installed new ones. Now the sounds works like it should and I'm wicked happy that my sounds works normal. You can try just installing the new audio software, it might work. But if it doesn't try uninstalling the drivers and completely removing the software. It's quite easy but I'll make a tutorial.

The Uninstall if you need it.
I haven't tried a straight up install over something that wasn't working so this might have a higher success rate.

1. Open your Sound settings window.
2. In the Playback tab right click Speakers and properties.
3. Click Properties again in the general tap under Controller Information
4. Again in the General tap, this time click the Change settings button that looks like administrator privileges.
5. Click the Driver tab, then Uninstall
6. It will ask if you would like to completely remove this software. Click Yes.
Now get new software!

The Drivers that worked for me :
1. Go to directly to the realtek website. http://www.realtek.com.tw/about/
2. Click Downloads
3. Click the accept button and continue
4. There is 32bit and 64bit software at the top. Most people run 64 but if your weird like that and want to run 32bit, make sure your using the correct software.
5. Download and follow the install instructions. Your computer will restart when it's finished.

This fixed it for me. I hope everyone gets good results. Now go enjoy new sound! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
So today I installed windows 10, and I love it except one thing:

The volume is bugged. I'll be sitting watching youtube videos on Microsoft Edge, click next video and my ears will be blown off because for some reason, the volume is all the way at 100% until I tweak it with the function key on my keyboard, in which it says it's at 30% and the audio jumps down to 30%. This mostly happens with Edge, and since Edge does not have a spot in my volume mixer, there's something funky going on there.

Everytime Edge loads a new video or audio element, the volume will jump to 100%, also sometimes when I switch between tabs, it will do the same.

I've also had Windows notification sounds jump to 100% in the volume mixer too. This is very frustrating as I am sometimes using a studio monitor, and having that blow because of a bug is just silly.

Is there any known issues with volume and Windows 10?

I should also mention that there is no headphone device in the volume settings, which there were before the upgrade.

I originally posted this question on Super User, but it didn't get any attention and I really need to solve this problem:
http://superuser.com/questions/948602/windows-10-volume-jumps-to-100-on-random
check your usb or wireless keyboard volume button isn't stuck down in the press position

Ask a Question