Windows 10 will not charge my laptop battery

Reaction score
Ever since I upgraded from version 1809 to 1903 my HP Pavilion dv6-2155dx, Windows 10 will not keep my laptop battery charged. I'm running version 1909 now and the same problem still exists. I've done everything that I've found on the net to fix it, but nothing is permanent. I've uninstalled the drivers in the Batteries category in Device Manager, turned the machine off, removed the battery, held the power button down for 30 seconds, put the battery back in, restarted, and it will then charge. BUT, it will not continue to do so! After a few hours the same problem begins all over again. Sometimes I could get it to charge by just removing the drivers in Device Manager and restarting, but as always, it's not a permanent fix. The last time I tried doing it that way, it would not begin to charge at all.
I've also tried to update the drivers in Device Manager, but always get the note that it's already using the best drivers. I don't think so!
I have a separate Windows 8.1 hard drive that I use by simply removing the 10 drive and installing the 8.1 drive. When I do that, the battery charges again perfectly and keeps the battery charged. As I mentioned, I never had any kind of problem with the battery issue until it upgraded to 1903, now 1909.
I sure would like to get this issue fixed. So far I've had several folks that are tech savvy trying to help, but we all seem to end up at the same place- Dud Avenue.
Please help. I would think it's a driver issue but have no idea why the issue can't be resolved. I would think it's the same driver as Windows 8.1 uses, but why it would work in 8.1 and not 10 is beyond me. It's frustrating and time consuming to have to go through endless attempts to get it to charge as it should, only to find that what I did was not a permanent solution.
Thank you-
Ron Kelly

Reaction score
MS did issue a fix for failure to charge your battery. also HP , Dell, Acer and Toshiba offered the same.
a common old time fix was
1. unplug the AC Adapter
2. press and hold the power button DOWN for 3 mins. yes 3 minutes....
3. Turn laptop and remove Battery.
4. plug in AC Adapter and use laptop for 5 minutes... then while still on,
reinsert the Battery... IF YOU ARE ON A POWER STRIP REMOVE AND GO DIRECTLY TO THE WALL OUTLET.

Reaction score
I did go through the "old time fix", more than once. I tried everything I could find on the net. After reading your post I decided to try again, so I put the battery back in which had fallen to 29%, and it began to charge immediately, but doesn't say so like it used to. Right now it's back to 100%. However, that has happened before after a restart, etc., so I'm going to wait a couple days and see if it stays charged. I hope so! That would be pretty good okay super duper. :cool:

Ask a Question