Windows 10 will not sleep after magic packet Wake On Lan

Reaction score
Hi,

This is the first time ever I've had to ask a tech support question on a forum! Normally a bit of google fu and persistence and any problem can be solved right? Not this time!

I use my computer remotely and so have configured wake on lan using a magic packet. My machine is custom built and uses a MSI Z97 gaming 3 motherboard, which incorporates a "Qualcomm Killer Ethernet 2200" network solution.

The Problem: When I freshly startup the machine it behaves normally. After a period of activity the screen turns off and the machine goes to sleep as per the power settings. All good! However, if I wake the machine using a magic packet over ethernet it goes into, what I affectionately call, Zombie Mode. The machine behaves normally but unless manually triggered will not go to sleep no matter how long the period of inactivity. I have left the machine with all programs closed on the desktop and come back hours later and it hasn't turned off the screen or shut down.

Things I have tried so far:
I've checked powercfg -requests multple times, it shows no stay awake requests
Disabled hibernation.
Disable waketimers.
Made sure power "Allow computer to sleep" under power config multimeda settings.
Using powercfg -requestsoverride what I thought was a process preventing sleep. Turned out htat process wasn't the cause?

I am truly at wits end. The key is definitely the use of Wake On Lan. If I restart the machine then everything behaves normal......untilt he next wakeonlan event!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Welcome to forums @billybob12231 and @e270889o

Try to disable Wake on pattern match on your NIC properties.

pattermatch.gif

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
What do you mean who? I thought you were the one performing this.

If you are not the person waking the computer, you MUST also disable in addition to Wake on Pattern match the Wake on Link Settings and Wake on Magic Packet

You may also want to disable any related option from your BIOS.

Reaction score
What do you mean who? I thought you were the one performing this.

If you are not the person waking the computer, you MUST also disable in addition to Wake on Pattern match the Wake on Link Settings and Wake on Magic Packet

You may also want to disable any related option from your BIOS.

yes yes its me. I mean, i dont know which thing, process or whatever its doing that. In windows event viewer doesn't show anything. I think its a bug with the bios, but i have the last version of it

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I'm thinking now this maybe something else. Im wondering if the software for the Qualcomm Killer Ethernet 2200 or maybe a buggy driver in question. So there's a few things Idle like you to try.

1) Send a magic packet and wake machine up, then press Ctrl+ Alt + Del and open the Task Manager, then at the bottom left, click more details.
tm.PNG

Now have a look around and see on Processes tab and Services Tab and look around for anything related to Killer Network Manager.

You want to kill any processes related to this and stop any services...
And see if problem is resolved.

Tip:
Use ScreenToGif to capture the Task Manager so we can see it and attach or if to big upload the result to https://postimage.io/ and insert the result in your reply.

2) A screenshot of your Network Card Drivers tab would be helpful also. (before and after upgrade.

3)
Upgrade your Killer Network Manager and device drivers http://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads

Other thoughts: Set the power profile to maximum performance and disable fast boot

Last edited:
Reaction score
Killer network was updated to last version with no change.

All power profiles tested with same result.

No diference with active processes..... I will post a gif but cant see any diferences.

In MSI forum dont care about this problem. **** them

Reaction score
Hi e270889o,

I had basically given up on this ever being fixed. I too will try the suggested fix by Data. I also concluded that it was some form of buggy ethernet driver. Did you find that you got anywhere with MSI?

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have the exact same problem with my MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard. Were you guys able to figure anything out? I tried everything and no luck. PC definitely turns into a zombie and refuses to go back to sleep or even turn off the monitor, log off etc. once I use a magic packet to wake it up.

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

Not sure if I figured out the reason but. I'm also long struggling with my PC not to wake up and fixed most of the issues except for one. When there is a pending update for Windows - PC will eventually switch on from off state and will not go back to sleep until the update is installed. So far I monitored several similar cases and I did not find a way to fix it. Can you try to dig in this direction?

Ask a Question