SOLVED Windows 10 Wireless Service is not running on this computer

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is due to an update since I have them set to automatic, but for about a week now my internet keeps going off and I get the error "The Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer" Then I click "Try these repairs as an administrator and it's fixed. The problem is that this happens every few minutes! I've tried resetting my system, my wireless service is set to automatic, I've gone my network adapter's website and downloaded the latest driver and nothing is working. I'm assuming this is from the update on December 7th, but why isn't there a fix yet???? Anyone else have this problem and is there a fix for it? I've seen this on several threads on other sites so I know I'm not the only one. I have an HP Envy laptop, Windows 10 version 1511.

Reaction score
Hi, I've been having the same problem since I updated my computer last night, 12/12/15. For me, I've been getting randomly disconnected from my network and when I looked at the connection area it showed that I have a wired connection when I have nothing connected, and when I hover over it, it shows I am connected to nothing. If I wait about 30 seconds, it'll go back to the disconnected wireless symbol. Which allows me to troubleshoot the connectivity which fixes it for a couple minutes. I hope I can find a way to fix this permanently for it is annoying, and incredibly inconvenient.
My computers specs are:
Windows 10
Intel core i5 6600k
Geforce GTX 970
MSI z170i motherboard
16gb of DDR4 ram

The problem seems to be coming from Windows itself, however the Motherboard is where my WIFI sticks are physically connected, and yes, it's plugged in entirely, etc.
*It happened 3 times while I was writing this.

*EDIT*
I think I have found a fix... there is a windows update called KB3122947, I stopped having problems as soon as I uninstalled it and restarted my computer.
I uninstalled it by going to Settings, then to Update & Security on the bottom left of the settings tab, then going toWindows Update, and clicking on Advanced Options, then on View your Update history, then on uninstall updates, then I found the latest update for me which was KB3122947 and right clicked and then clicked Uninstall. After all that I restarted and it hasn't cut out once.
I am not responsible if this does anything other than the implied purpose. (Had to say it)

If this helped, like it so people can see it easier.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi I have the same problem as Jason M. My wireless internet access was working fine until Windows updated on the 13 Dec 2015 with a Security update. As Jason M did I removed the update and everything was running fine again. Last night (15 Dec 2015) Windows updated itself again and the wireless connectivity problem reappeared. I have since removed the update and everything is running normally again.
Obviously, this cannot go on, having to remove security updates to get internet access. Does anyone know if Microsoft has a fix?
As Jason M said I am not responsible for any other problems arising on anyone's computer if they follow the same procedure.

Reaction score
I had the wireless service not running issue just as described above and tried the service reset and even a registry edit suggested elsewhere. Nothing helped. Finally thought I might have static electricity in the wifi adapter on my ASUS 2015 all in one computer. Pulled all the plugs you can pull and shut the whole sucker off for about 3 hours to let the static discharge. Works just fine.

Reaction score
Hi, I've been having the same problem since I updated my computer last night, 12/12/15. For me, I've been getting randomly disconnected from my network and when I looked at the connection area it showed that I have a wired connection when I have nothing connected, and when I hover over it, it shows I am connected to nothing. If I wait about 30 seconds, it'll go back to the disconnected wireless symbol. Which allows me to troubleshoot the connectivity which fixes it for a couple minutes. I hope I can find a way to fix this permanently for it is annoying, and incredibly inconvenient.
My computers specs are:
Windows 10
Intel core i5 6600k
Geforce GTX 970
MSI z170i motherboard
16gb of DDR4 ram

The problem seems to be coming from Windows itself, however the Motherboard is where my WIFI sticks are physically connected, and yes, it's plugged in entirely, etc.
*It happened 3 times while I was writing this.

*EDIT*
I think I have found a fix... there is a windows update called KB3122947, I stopped having problems as soon as I uninstalled it and restarted my computer.
I uninstalled it by going to Settings, then to Update & Security on the bottom left of the settings tab, then going toWindows Update, and clicking on Advanced Options, then on View your Update history, then on uninstall updates, then I found the latest update for me which was KB3122947 and right clicked and then clicked Uninstall. After all that I restarted and it hasn't cut out once.
I am not responsible if this does anything other than the implied purpose. (Had to say it)

If this helped, like it so people can see it easier.
This worked! Good grief, all that time and all I had to do was uninstall a few updates! Thank you soooo much! I was getting extremely frustrated. I only had 4 updates on 12/11 but once I uninstalled them it's worked like a charm! *happy dance*

Reaction score
This unfortunately did not work for me. When I searched through all my updates (KB3122947) was not listed on my pc. I looked around and I found this and so far so good. Someone said the update uninstalled/broke the wireless adaptor driver. I suppose you could download and reinstall the driver yourself but there is a free program called Driver talent that will scan all of your installed drivers for error. It found and fixed my wifi driver issue. So this may help those who have to constantly uninstall the update every time they restart.
http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-no-wifi-available-after-windows-10-update.html

Hope this helps someone else

Reaction score
My wireless adapter has not worked since I first installed Windows 10. I had no idea that I would have to spend my days dealing with all of the problems I have had. I have tried everything and still have to use an ethernet connection to get online. I have tried to update the driver but it is up to date. I have deleted the driver and that didn't help. Now, I will try to delete the recent updates but what about the other fixes in those updates?

Ask a Question