SOLVED Windows 10 Won't Access Network Drive

Reaction score
I have a network attached storage drive in my home. It is a Western Digital MyBook Live. It worked flawlessly under Windows 8.1 where it appeared in File Explorer as a listing under "Network" in the Navigation Bar on the left side of the File Explorer Window. Clicking on it there would open it in the large window on the right side of the File Explorer Window and display all of the top level folders on that drive, and it would also display the entire folder structure in the Navigation Bar. Clicking on a folder would open it. Perfect. Under Windows 10, it does not appear under the word "Network" in the Navigation pane, but clicking on the word "Network" shows all devices currently on the home network in the large window on the right, including this MyBook Live, which appears twice: once as a media device and once as a storage device. However, clicking on either one of those opens up my browser and the login dialogue box for the MyBook Live settings app embedded on the device and does NOT provide access to any of the folders on the device. Fortunately, I had a shortcut on my desktop to a specific folder on that device and when I click on that, it opens the folder in File Explorer. Then from the address bar in File Explorer (Network>MyBookLive>FrankFazzio>data>Quicken), I can navigate backwards to a higher folder level and then get to where I want to be. Very cumbersome. The top of the File Explorer window displays the address as \\MyBookLive\FrankFazzio\data\Quicken. So I can actually open up a File Explorer window to any folder and then type in the address bar "\\MyBookLive" and hit enter and it opens up the top level folder (root directory) on the MyBookLive. Again, this works but it is not the best way. Is there a way to make this work the way it did under Windows 8.1 and have the drive and its folders accessible by clicking on icons in the Navigation pane on the left side of the File Explorer Window. This isn't the only weird thing about my home network that is happening under Windows 10 and I should probably mention the rest as it may bear on this problem. I have this computer, a Lenovo Twist, another laptop, a Lenovo X220 and a Surface Pro on this network. Network discovery is turned on for all three and all are set to allow automatic setup of network connected devices, to allow file and printer sharing, and to allow Windows to manage homegroup connections. ( I do not have a homegroup set up) While all three of these computers have the same problem with MyBookLive they differ in how they see each other. In the Network pane, the Twist displays itself and the Surface, the Surface only displays itself, and the X220 does not display itself but displays the Twist and the Surface!!?? Clicking on a link to another computer on the network only opens up an empty window. Previously, under Windows 7 I could access files back and forth from one computer to the other. All that is gone now. Disappointing. I would like to be able to get my network storage working again. I also have a second Network Storage device, a TeraStation Live. It no longer shows up on any list of network devices anywhere, but if I type \\Terastalive\FrankFazzio\data\Quicken into the address bar of File Explorer on any of these three computers, it opens up the correct folder! Any thoughts on any of this?

Reaction score
I am having a related problem with a HomeGroup in win 10 in that I can only see 2 out of 3 computers even though they are all running win 10 and correctly configured. The two I can see have the same MS account while the other has a local account. I am now starting to think this could be the problem.
You gave me a scare on your first point as I am about to establish a NAS as part of this HoemGroup. I will be interested in the answer.

Reaction score
Same problem here. Run "sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi" is not a good idea. I have tryied it. n the begining, this work. But sometime latter, when you click on a device on the network pannel, Windows explorer says "path not found". :-(

Ask a Question