SOLVED Windows 10 won't allow me to backup a DVD made by me

Reaction score
Using Windows 7 I have often successfully copied TV programs (on my TV Recorder) on to a DVD to send to my daughter who lives abroad. That always worked, and still does in Windows 10. In case of loss, I have also always created a copy as a backup to a blank DVD. This is the first time I have tried this particular task in Windows 10. I followed the usual routine which is at:

http://www.dummies.com/computers/op...w-to-copy-files-to-a-cd-or-dvd-in-windows-10/

This involves copying the Video_TS folder of the source DVD onto the desktop. Then, for the target DVD, I choose at the appropriate step how I want to burn the files which is “With a CD/DVD player”. My (Windows 10) instructions then state “Drag and drop your files and/or folders into the (target) drive’s File Explorer window.” (There are other options which don’t work.) I do that. I then get:

“Files Ready to Be Written to the Disc

VIDEO_TS, 16/01/2017 20:22”​

My instructions continue: “No matter which method you choose, Windows dutifully looks over the information and copies it to the disc you inserted in the first step. A progress window appears, showing the disc burner’s progress. When the progress window disappears, Windows has finished burning the disc.”

Nothing happens, no matter what I do. It worked in Windows 7. The source and target DVDs are new.

Help please!

PS: The Video_TS folder plays OK in VLC Media Player.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks. The second worked. I will use that in future.The first produced a distorted image - like a letterbox.

Ask a Question