SOLVED Windows 10 won't allow renaming of files etc

Reaction score
Windows 10 won't let me rename files, pics etc in the normal way. It allows me to try, then reverts to the previous name. It is not a problem of permissions, I have checked that.
It will allow me to rename on "Properties", but that is one file at a time. How am I to rename a group of pictures? This really seems like a glitch.
Anyone know a solution to this problem?

Reaction score
How are you trying to rename a group at the same time? You can't rename them all to the same name. Using a batch rename applications is the only way I have ever known to rename groups. Even then the application renames them sequentially one at a time, because they still need an independent name.

Reaction score
How are you trying to rename a group at the same time? You can't rename them all to the same name. Using a batch rename applications is the only way I have ever known to rename groups. Even then the application renames them sequentially one at a time, because they still need an independent name.
Maybe you are misunderstanding me. There is a glitch on my WINDOWS 10 download. I am not the only person with this glitch, but it is does not seem to be common.
1. When I open a folder and scroll down, within a few seconds the page jumps back up to the top. It is impossible to scroll down and keep it where I want it, in any folder.
See my post: https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...onds-it-jumps-back-to-the-top.1155/#post-5849
2. I cannot rename files or folders in the usual way, though I can change the name of an individual file or folder in the "Properties" box. Thus I cannot rename a group of pictures or other files as I have always been able to do before . (By gathering the files I want to rename together with the pointer, right clicking, then renaming one of the files renames them all. That's what I mean. This has nothing to do with me not knowing how to multi-rename files.)

PLEASE HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM WITH OPEN FOLDERS ON WINDOWS 10? I know there are at least 3 of us, and it is making Windows 10 unusable for us. If you are an expert, could you direct us where to go next to sort this problem?

Reaction score
Also no idea what the question is! (F2 renaming works fine for me)
That's because you don't have the problem. F2 or right clicking and clicking 'rename' aren't working for me. It seems to be associated with the other problem I have which is
https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...onds-it-jumps-back-to-the-top.1155/#post-5849
which also I assume is a problem you don't have. But if you have any technical advice, I would be very grateful. Or who I can contact to sort this glitch. Thank you.

Reaction score
Using the 'rename' icon in the home tab of the explorer ribbon only allows certain file types to be renamed. e.g. .jpeg .jpg and Folder names. Attempts to rename a .pdf ,djvu .doc etc, results in windows opening the file association box of options instead. Using F2 works OK

Reaction score
Using the 'rename' icon in the home tab of the explorer ribbon only allows certain file types to be renamed. e.g. .jpeg .jpg and Folder names. Attempts to rename a .pdf ,djvu .doc etc, results in windows opening the file association box of options instead. Using F2 works OK

Not for me it doesn't. Until ....
Having consulted with others on a different thread (https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...onds-it-jumps-back-to-the-top.1155/#post-5956), I have discovered that the problem lies (for those of us affected) in the background slide show. Once that is turned off, everything works as normal, the scrolled down page stops jumping up to the top (every time, it turns out, the background picture changes) and files can be renamed as per usual.
My background slide show on Windows 8.1 changed the pic every 6 seconds.. On Windows 10 the minimum pic change is 1 minute, which is very different. The fault hasn't gone away entirely ... it just happens less frequently now, giving time to do the renaming.

Reaction score
Windows 10 won't let me rename files, pics etc in the normal way. It allows me to try, then reverts to the previous name. It is not a problem of permissions, I have checked that.
It will allow me to rename on "Properties", but that is one file at a time. How am I to rename a group of pictures? This really seems like a glitch.
I had the same problem, I had the picture changing every ten seconds. Now that I've stopped the background picture from changing, I've had no more problems renaming or the screen jumping back to the top.

Reaction score
I had the same problem, I had the picture changing every ten seconds. Now that I've stopped the background picture from changing, I've had no more problems renaming or the screen jumping back to the top.
I'm glad the problem is sorted for you.

mmt

Reaction score
I could not change the background slide display ...how do we get into that

mmt

Reaction score
I have a similar problem can not rename my folders ....within seconds the box disappears can some one pls guide me step by step Thanks !

mmt

Reaction score
Not for me it doesn't. Until ....
Having consulted with others on a different thread (https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...onds-it-jumps-back-to-the-top.1155/#post-5956), I have discovered that the problem lies (for those of us affected) in the background slide show. Once that is turned off, everything works as normal, the scrolled down page stops jumping up to the top (every time, it turns out, the background picture changes) and files can be renamed as per usual.
My background slide show on Windows 8.1 changed the pic every 6 seconds.. On Windows 10 the minimum pic change is 1 minute, which is very different. The fault hasn't gone away entirely ... it just happens less frequently now, giving time to do the renaming.

How do i turn off background slide show pls tell me step by step thanks !

Reaction score
Hello

I have the same problem. I downloaded Windows 10 from windows 8. Now when I try and rename a file, when I type the second letter of the renamed word my computer defaults to the previous page. I do not have any pictures 'changing' in the back ground. It is the same problem on my C drive as well as my NAS drive.
Gerryo

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Gerryo and welcome to the forum.
My suggestion would be for you to start your own thread (new thread) and include as much detail as possible as to the specifics of your problem, what is happening and what you are seeing, and errors you may be getting and anything in the event viewer that may be an indicator as to whats going on.
This thread is a month old and marked as "Solved", so you will not likely receive much attention here.

Reaction score
I was having the same problem and then realized it was because I was using a wireless mouse once I switched my right click was now working and I could then name a group of pics as I was always able to do before on other windows programs. So for me the problem was using a wireless mouse.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I think I solved the Windows 10 problem while keeping the slideshow change rate at 10 seconds.
You need to switch off "automatically select color accent from my background". After this, file renaming, scrolling etc didn't pose any problems anymore to me.

Select: Windows 10 button > Settings > Personal settings > Colors > switch called "automatically select color accent from my background".

Moreover, it's actually possible to set the slideshow change rate at 10 or 30 seconds in Windows 10. Run "control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper" at the windows button. You'll enter a section of control panel that is otherwise out of reach. Thank you Daniel Rubino at Windows Central for this.

Reaction score
Thank you PercussieTom. So it isn't the slide show per se, but the colour change. So now I can have my slideshow back on! Wonderful, thank you.
mmt I hope you are sorted now too. If not ask for further instructions.
All the best everybody.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I think I solved the Windows 10 problem while keeping the slideshow change rate at 10 seconds.
You need to switch off "automatically select color accent from my background". After this, file renaming, scrolling etc didn't pose any problems anymore to me.

Select: Windows 10 button > Settings > Personal settings > Colors > switch called "automatically select color accent from my background".

Moreover, it's actually possible to set the slideshow change rate at 10 or 30 seconds in Windows 10. Run "control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper" at the windows button. You'll enter a section of control panel that is otherwise out of reach. Thank you Daniel Rubino at Windows Central for this.
This is the answer - thank you very much.

Ask a Question