SOLVED Windows 10 wont shut down, file explorer not working, desktop disappeared.

Reaction score
For a couple days my computer has been acting weird.
My desktop will no longer come up upon startup, it's just the blank wallpaper with no folders or shortcuts.
Sometimes it will reappear, and the Desktop setting Automatic Arrangement is checked, with all my files out of place.
Another problem, the computer will not shut down. If I start a shutdown the screen goes blue and displays "Shutting Down" perpetually. I let it attempt to shut down all day and all night and there was still no change. (I have to flick the switch attached to the power supply at the back in order for it to turn off, I cringe every time)
The start menu also doesn't work properly either, anytime I click the My Stuff tab on the search the start menu and taskbar freeze.
In the file explorer, when I right click on any file/folder windows explorer freezes.
I have avast antivirus so I have done uncountable virus scans and it continues to say that malware isn't present

A friend of mine told me that upgrading to windows ten makes it way buggier than a fresh install, so I've tried many times to perform a backup(That way I could clear the hard drive, fresh install w10, and still have my files stored somewhere) but Windows backups nor file explorer will recognize my extra hard drive.
I just tried to use Avast to make a rescue disc with my 500gb flash drive and it froze... like I literally just tried that while writing this and the application isn't responding...
Neither will windows media creator work when i try to turn my flash drive into a bootable disc
I swear it feels like some god of computers somewhere just hates me.

(P.S: I tried disabling smart shutdown in the power settings, it's already disabled and doesn't work either way)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Josh and welcome to the forum.
Your friend is right.... Generally a clean install is preferable to an upgrade, but....
Before you go that route, maybe.....
Try creating a new user as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user).
Log off from your account and log on as the new user and see if anything changes.
At least that might help determine if the problem is global (something wrong with the installation) or unique to your profile.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That would suggest that the other profile is corrupt.
You may need to copy over the contents from the corrupt user profile into the a new user profile.
You'll need a third admin profile in order to do it as you cannot be logged on as either the profile you are copying from or copying to.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7
Similar steps as described for windows 7 should work on windows 10
Avoid anything beginning with nt and personally I would also avoid the AppData folder as it may contain some problem content. Focus mainly on the typical folders Desktop, Docs, Downloads, Music, Picture, etc. and see how that works.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
Thanks for the follow-up.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
I spoke too soon, the problems were fixed when I first started using the new account, but resumed after reboot

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you attempt multiple reboots and cold boots with the new user profile, before you copied over the items from your problem profile?

Ask a Question