Windows 10 XPS cannot see into Vista PC

Reaction score
Cannot figure out how to get my new Dell XPS 15 9550 running Windows 10 that I just received then set up last night to see into my old Window Vista HP desktop files. I can view into the Dell file folders from my Vista pc including transferring files into it. But from the Dell the HP pc only shows "This folder is empty".

Network router is wifi Netgear genie WNR1000v4 running version 2.40.20. This private network connects to my AT&T Uverse modem (Internet), the Dell pc, my android phone, and my HP pc. All has been well on the network for months and in the above case is working fine. Expect the issue is something about the network and sharing settings inside the old Vista machine that is blocking. I am not versed in these windows network sharing functions.

The HP pc under control panels has Network and Sharing Center. It shows a map with the genie and other above noted devices. I have Network discovery and File Sharing turned ON. Set to Off are Public folder sharing printer sharing, media sharing, password protected sharing.

When I select the Dell it shows the folders therein. On the Dell File Explorer under Network shows both the Genie connected computers and also under Media Devices. If I double click the Dell it shows the Users folder icon from which I can drill down to my own account. But double clicking the HP Computer displays "This folder is empty". So it is communicating with the HP pc but is apparently being blocked by something I have not set up correctly? I also tried to set up access by mapping a network drive. It sees the HP but the Ok button is greyed out that selects it.

dave

Reaction score
Can now see into my HP pc somewhat. The HP may not have had ANY folders set up for Sharing since I've never connected another computer to do so here at home until now. So when I looked at folder properties of several folders, they were all set to NOT SHARED. I went to some small folders with small files and tried to change that to Shared but the File Sharing window only shows Sharing items... This may take a few minutes. And is spinning my hard drive crazy doing something? After 10 minutes canceled. WTF? Tried another and same thing? Then went to c:\temp and deleted all but a few small text files and wallah! It quickly digested that and was shared. Suddenly on my Dell XPS it was no longer showing empty. However it was not showing the Temp folder but rather the c:\users\guest acount. Am guessing when I changed the first item to sharing there was something about sharing that had never been previously performed that had to go through a massive number of files. Then went down in my user hierarchy to another folder and did the same and after about 15 minutes it completed.

After completing it showed the path with status of "Your folder is shared". My Dell then began showing the c:\temp folder in addition to c:\users\guest but not the new folder I just changed? At the bottom of that window was a link to "Show me all the files I am sharing". That listed under searches some old junk files but not anything else?

Since the Dell now displayed my hp c:\temp folder, I double clicked that but a Network Error window popped up showing:
Windows cannot access <path>
You do not have permission to access <path>...

So some kind of ancient Vista file permission scheme can of worms. Under Guest was a short list of the Microsoft folders like Music, Downloads, Pictures etc. Some had .ini files inside but could not be viewed from the Dell. I copied some small .txt files in the Documents folder and wallah! The Dell could finally see them. Ok so what I need to understand is how to turn on file sharing in Vista user accounts beyond the Guest account?

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK have apparently fully opened up my HP pc folders I have interest in moving between the to computers. Have a large external USB hard drive with all my personal files thus not on the c: internal drive Vista Microsoft stuff is all at. Thus started with the USB hard drive letter and drilled down a couple levels to my stuff changed the properties from Not Shared to Shared and suddenly all sub-folders below appeared on the Dell. Pity the non-technical person that has to figure this out.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well, it's good to hear you managed to sort through it on your own and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
AND.....
Welcome to the forum.

Ask a Question