Windows 7 then 10 and back to 7, now can't update to 10

Reaction score
Hi All,
On 19th March 2016, I was caught out by a Windows 10 upgrade without my specific instigation. I thought, what the hell, I'll go with it but when upgraded, my wifi dongle and a couple of other bits of hardware were not recognised.
I reverted to Windows 7 Home premium but my Live Mail folders were corrupted.

Yesterday, 24th May 2016, after getting a decent compatible wifi dongle and sorting the other hardware, I tried again to upgrade to 10. Even though I had downloaded 10 back in March, the update downloaded it again. However my PC then was hanging, first in downloading the update for the second time and then, after a few restarts, it tried to search for updates and then was hanging again.
I have given up for the moment and done a System Restore to before the most recent attempt to upgrade.

Having reverted to 7, how do I upgrade to 10.
Any help, please?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Some users when rolling back from Windows 10 to Windows 7 end up with a non activated Windows 7 OS.

If that has happened in your case this may be the cause of current situation.

Verify your Windows 7 is activated. If it isn't you can use a fixit tool Microsoft made to resolve that, then try upgrading to 10 again; making sure your download for the upgrade is not itself corrupted (given you mentioned you ended up with a corrupted Windows Live Mail on the roll back).

Fixit tool located here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2230957

Reaction score
Some users when rolling back from Windows 10 to Windows 7 end up with a non activated Windows 7 OS.

If that has happened in your case this may be the cause of current situation.

Verify your Windows 7 is activated. If it isn't you can use a fixit tool Microsoft made to resolve that, then try upgrading to 10 again; making sure your download for the upgrade is not itself corrupted (given you mentioned you ended up with a corrupted Windows Live Mail on the roll back).

Fixit tool located here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2230957

Thanks Regedit32, my OS is activated.

Ask a Question