Windows Auto Repair Loop/Diagnosis

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday I initiated a fresh install of Windows 10 via Control Panel using the Recovery option "Refresh your PC without affecting your files, or reset it and start over." Wanting a clean slate with just the OS I chose the latter. To begin with all seemed to be going well, there was a period of about 40 minutes while the reinstallation process did it's thing, then the sytem rebooted and I recieved the first blue screen messaged, "Your PC did not start correctly." Now I find myself stuck in this infernal loop of diagnosis/fail misery, wishing I hadn't bothered in the first place, Microsoft.

All the options made available via the blue screens appear to be of no use, the outcome after a reboot is always the same, "Preparing automatic repair - Diagnosing your PC - Your PC did not start correctly".

When the PC reboots, there is, very briefly a window, or at least what looks like a white border of a window that flashes up for a split second before the blue screens take over. It's almost as though the next phase of the reinstallation of the OS is about to start and then interrupted.

Apologies if I've not done better to provide more useful info,but there's actually nothing else going on which really stands out, to my knowledge at least. Thought I'd best come here and put the feelers out and hope you guys can suggest some ideas for me to try.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Useful info might be how large is your hard drive and how much free space?

What type of system and even model number?

Anti-virus active?

You started the Reset from Windows and not an external media?

Do you have any idea of what was wrong prior to the Reset?

If you are doing a clean reset you might just download the install media and install directly from that.

Reaction score
I got the same problem. I put my PC into sleep before going to bed, and next morning I woke up (this is on the morning of 10/23), tells me that the PC did not restart properly.

From there, basically:
black screen for about 15 to 20 seconds
"Preparing Automatic repair" for about 15 seconds
"Diagnosing your pc"
"Repairing disk errors, this may take more than an hour"
a pop up of blank command box for about half a second, and then it disappears
black screen for about another 20 seconds

RESTART, LOOP

This goes on for 12 hours, nothing changes.

This has continued to this date so running 5 days without my work PC.

In the past it looks like it took you to the command box where you can type in ways to change settings, but this one there's nothing that can be done about.

I have very important files in my pc and please let tell me what can be done about.

My PC: HP ENVY 15-j085nr
intel i5

Reaction score
Have either of you ever been offered some option you could actually choose or does it just start over by itself?

If you are given a screen with options, see if there is a cancel button somewhere.

If you have a recovery drive or can download install media, do that and boot to it for the Recovery options. You can try those and there are a couple we could try.

It is amazing, considering all of these situations you see in the forums, no one has presented a reasonable solution. There do seem to be quite a few threads about HP systems and a diagnostic loop.

Reaction score
I got the same problem. I put my PC into sleep before going to bed, and next morning I woke up (this is on the morning of 10/23), tells me that the PC did not restart properly.

From there, basically:
black screen for about 15 to 20 seconds
"Preparing Automatic repair" for about 15 seconds
"Diagnosing your pc"
"Repairing disk errors, this may take more than an hour"
a pop up of blank command box for about half a second, and then it disappears
black screen for about another 20 seconds

RESTART, LOOP

This goes on for 12 hours, nothing changes.

This has continued to this date so running 5 days without my work PC.

In the past it looks like it took you to the command box where you can type in ways to change settings, but this one there's nothing that can be done about.

I have very important files in my pc and please let tell me what can be done about.

My PC: HP ENVY 15-j085nr
intel i5
I feel ya, looking forward to a fix that wotks.

Reaction score
It will have to be someone whose system is exhibiting the problem to find an answer. All anyone else, except the OEM, can do is guess at steps to suggest.

For now, both of you try removing external devices... Try changing the USB port the mouse/keyboard plug into...

Reaction score
It will have to be someone whose system is exhibiting the problem to find an answer. All anyone else, except the OEM, can do is guess at steps to suggest.

For now, both of you try removing external devices... Try changing the USB port the mouse/keyboard plug into...
No external devices except mouse, tried without optical mouse that but doesn't change anything .
I tried using a different USB port to reboot with Windows 10 recovery (or whatever it's called) program, but the USB drive flashed and pc kept looping as if nothing had been inserted.
Are there certain actions a person have to take when an update is downloaded to their computer other than install it? This is way too complicated and I don't think it's anything I did if you want to know the truth. Especially since so many people are having problems

Reaction score
I have the same problem,
I tried using a different USB port to reboot with Windows 10 recovery (or whatever it's called) program, but the USB drive flashed and pc kept looping as if nothing had been inserted.

Reaction score
Thank goodness I have a warranty on my computer and I have sent it in to be reset to factory settings because I couldn't even get on safe mode. Not sure what I'm going to do when I get it back because when I first bought it it was in Windows 8 and I had upgraded to 8.1 which was OK and then they offered Windows 10 which I've been happy with her over a year but this last update really messed things up so I'm not sure what I'm going to do

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thank goodness I have a warranty on my computer and I have sent it in to be reset to factory settings because I couldn't even get on safe mode. Not sure what I'm going to do when I get it back because when I first bought it it was in Windows 8 and I had upgraded to 8.1 which was OK and then they offered Windows 10 which I've been happy with her over a year but this last update really messed things up so I'm not sure what I'm going to do
The first thing that I would do is create a complete disk image of the device and keep it safe and unadulterated.
AND
I would continue to do that (new ones never overwriting the original) from time to time, so that I had an option to return my computer to a point in time whenever it might be necessary.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
Sorry for arriving so late back to this thread, I was very busy with work and had little time for anything else. Fortunately I have two PCs and so was able to carry on as normal using my main PC until I could find the time to tackle this issue.

And about that - I wasn't able to break out from the blue screen repair/diagnosis loop using any of the options presented. Just to be clear, at any given stage during any of the options I chose, the PC would reboot and the message "Preparing automatic repair" would always show, followed by "Diagnosing your PC", and then back to the blue screen options.

In the end I decided on a reinstallation of Windows 8.1 using the original OS disk which came with the PC. All went well and from there I reinstalled Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool software. The whole proccess went without a hitch and now I have the PC back, up to date and functioning normally with Windows 10.

FTR, here is a breakdown of all the options that were available to me after a reboot, starting with the first blue screen.
1/Continue <<< PC reboots, back to these options
2/Troubleshoot (reset PC or see advanced options)
3/Turn off PC <<< turns off PC

Choosing #2 (Troubleshoot) would present me with the following options:
1/Reset this PC, keep or remove files then reinstall Windows. <<< Process begins then PC reboots back to blue screen one
2/Advanced options

Choosing #2 (Advanced Options) presented these options:
1/System Restore
2/System Image Recovery
3/Start-up Repair
4/Command Prompt
5/Start-up Settings
6/Go back to previous build.

For me, choosing any of the above options at this stage would result in a reboot at some point along in the process, coupled with the auto repair message and then back to blue screen one.

To answer some questions:
Q: What type of system and even model number?
A: System is a 3XS Scan build, i5 4690 3.2GHz, 8GB 1600MHz, ASUS H81M-Plus, 2GB EVGA GTX660, system is barely 3 years old.

Q: Anti-virus active?
A: Yes, my anti-virus was active at the moment I began the reinstallation process from within Windows.

Q: You started the Reset from Windows and not an external media?
A: Yes, reset from Windows.

Q: Do you have any idea of what was wrong prior to the Reset?
A: I had recently bought another PC and simply wanted a backup PC with nothing on it but Windows 10 OS. This is the only reason I went ahead with a reinstallation.

Q: Have either of you ever been offered some option you could actually choose or does it just start over by itself?
A: In my experience the PC never once started over by itself. Only after choosing any of the options at the blue screens would the PC reboot, I suppose, by itself, as a requirement of a specific option I'd chosen, or as part of this repair/diagnosis loop process.

Like I say, this issue is fixed for me now, although as to what caused this is of course still a mystery, but I'd be more than happy to answer any more questions, and thanks for taking the time to provide infos and suggestions.

Reaction score
I also have this kind of problem . But i dont have any windows 8 cd. Because when i bought it they already installed windows 10 .I bought just about 1 year ago . Still new , so could you guys help me , give some more information regarding this problem. I dont have any laptop left so i really Appreciate toward the people who helps

Ask a Question