SOLVED Windows backup

Reaction score
The old Windows 7 style backup. While checking backup results I noticed to my surprise that Windows 10 Home now allows backups to a network drive. W7 never did, you had to buy the Pro update for that. Did Windows 8/8.1 allow this? I did not use either of them.

I did not check this on the Insider builds...never had anything on those machines to be backed up.

Reaction score
The Imaging utility has not been removed from Win 8 or 10. It has changed some capabilities but as far back as I remember it would back up to a Network location but that may have been one of the upgrades since I would not have used that option.

It is too bad the Windows 10 Recovery system does not make an image of the entire install but only the basic Windows 10 version.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Windows 8 introduced their File History service that backed up to a network service when they replaced the older File Shadows used in Windows 7.

The annoying thing with Windows 8 was the default to hide the System Image Creation tool. I can only imagine how many users never found that option. It was there just for some reason Microsoft chose to Hire David Copperfield to hide it behind the Statue of Liberty before making it disappear on national television :rolleyes:

I don't see anything obviously different in Window 10.

Actually, its been a while since I took a look there myself to be honest. If I recall its only limitation was no WiFi support, but I might be mistaken there; memory upgrade between the ears may be needed :D

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I preferred the check box method of selecting/deselecting files for backing up in the Win 7 version.

Reaction score
Folks,

It may be worth noting on this thread that although Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro can both backup to, and create system images on a network device, it MUST be an NTFS file system in order to restore back from the network device.

For example, I can backup to and create system images on my QNAP NAS, but since it is an EXT4 (linux) file system, I can't restore from that source. I have to move the backups off onto another device, to restore from them.

Just a little something for us to keep in the back of our minds. :)

Cheers!

Ask a Question