Windows Creator Install -- Impossible! -- Let me vent please.

Reaction score
For the third time in two days, I have tried to install Windows Creator. I have run the Microsoft Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter about 50 times. I've run sfc /scannow, I've checked Service Registration Missing repairs twice...., everything says its fixed but...

I give up! It downloads okay and the install starts and restarts once and then it just stalls at somewhere between 32 percent and 37 percent. Nothing happens for over an hour so I power down and reboot back to the previous version which works just fine, thank you very much. I need neither paint nor 3D and I'm not a gamer.

Something else I am bugged about. Each time I run the troubleshooter and it tells me everything is fixed, if I run it again it still finds the same things to fix.

Since I'm on Windows 10 Home and direct ethernet, there's no way I can stop this update until Microsoft figures where the bugs are.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You can probably circumvent the issue you are currently experiencing by just using the media creation tool to download the ISO to a local folder on your PC
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
USE the section labeled "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC"
Then double click the ISO to mount it as a virtual optical drive and run setup.exe from there from within you current version of Windows 10 and choose Upgrade Keep Everything.

Ignore the progress indicators and just let it run. Overnight if necessary.

Reaction score
Troubles solution is the best. Sometimes it takes all night to update the computer (from my experience at least). just try it one more time and let it do its work. you may be surprised.....

Bif

Reaction score
Yup...Trouble has it nailed to the easiest and most foolproof method...
And FYI, you've come to the right place to vent!!
Welcome to the party!

Regedit32

Reaction score
There were multiple updates leading to the Creator release.

Pre Creator the most recent 1607 version update took you to build 14393.1066

If that is not your current version it would help a lot to get that going first, before attempting to change from Version 1607 to 1703. Then as Trouble suggests making use of the Media Creation Tool would be worth while.

Once the installation begins Microsoft will check for updates, of which in the 1703 version there are two Build numbers; the latter being 15063.138, plus there are a few security updates. Each of these takes time to download, verify, then run, hence the seemingly stalled computer. Just wait, it will eventually continue.

I downloaded the Creator using the Download now option, rather than wait for it to be rolled out to my machine. During that process it did a quick scan to confirm my processor and other factors matches the minimum requirements for a Creator install. I assume you have noticed that scan yourself; if not then that may be an issue as some processors are not currently supported as Microsoft is working with those manufacturers to bring legacy software up to specification.

You may not want Paint 3D or games. The updates to Windows Defender Security Center though are well worth getting. Also, once you succeed in updating to Creator, go to Store and check for updates - I had 11 universal updates to install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Microsoft has prepared a list.
I'm sure that it is not exhaustive nor all inclusive and I'm equally sure that just because your machine is not on the list that, that does not mean it may not be quite capable of running the Creators Update version of Windows 10.
I myself, am running it on some pretty ancient hardware.
The list includes links to some other manufacturer's websites with their lists of their "tested" computers.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...puter-is/5152bb37-f95d-48a6-b7b2-ad0d5c738923

Microsoft also seems to like the ISO method of upgrading to the Creators Update version of Windows 10 from most earlier versions of Windows 10
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s-update/617a37da-8fc0-4f33-a3eb-59fe9082f925
I like their Public Service Announcement
PSA: Create Backup Reinstall Media for Your Current Version of Windows 10 Before Upgrading to Windows 10 Creators Update
AND
There notes at the bottom
When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
How to manually backup and restore your files
How to free up disk space in Windows 10
How to: 10 Tips before installing Windows 10
Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
Restart a few times then try again.
Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). You can do this from the Device Manager.
If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).
Load your BIOS the reset the BIOS defaults.
Check if there are any available BIOS updates for your system, then apply them.
Perform a clean boot, restart then try again.
If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account or upgrade based on your System Administrators discretion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help....but.....

Sorry to say this DID NOT WORK either. Same stall. I was skeptical anyway because I had no problem downloading the updates directly through update and security.

I figured I'd give it a try.

In preparation, I unplugged everything but my mouse and monitor and uninstalled MalwareBytes and HitmanPro. I mounted the ISO three different times. Everything goes smooth until the second reboot and then it all just stops at 32%...though the last time it stopped at 38%. I give up. The machinations and permutations are too complicated for an ordinary human. I'm pretty technically savvy but this is beyond the pale. I've never had trouble with these updates before. This computer was updated from Windows 8 to 10 and the intervening upgrades to 10. This Creator update is beyond my ability.

I'm due for a new computer and this time it's going to be a MAC.

Reaction score
Does the PC just stop responding, or is there still hard drive activity? I have had times in the past where updates seem to stall for hours. Eventually they do finish. On one occasion I had to let it run overnight.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I'm due for a new computer and this time it's going to be a MAC.

If you are willing to change to UNIX which is what Mac OS is in a nutshell, why not extend your old computer life and try a Linux distribution like Ubuntu or variant which includes the Gnome Desktop?
I promise you, its much better than going Apple, it is cheaper, and these days its hard to find older hardware that is not well supported.

Or if your hardware is not new (pre skylake), Windows 7 is mature, stable and supported until 2020.

My 2c.

Reaction score
Does the PC just stop responding, or is there still hard drive activity? I have had times in the past where updates seem to stall for hours. Eventually they do finish. On one occasion I had to let it run overnight.

There is no activity. The screen is frozen and the hard drive stops...

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@ambimom

This sounds to me like a incompatibility with one of your system devices.

Like you say, the setup grinds to a halt at around 30'ish% and there is no response from system.

The only way to determine where and what is causing this halting is to look at setup logs.
Have a look at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744583(v=ws.10).aspx

If possible either use a pastebin to host logs and post the links or zip the logs up and attach to your reply. Maybe someone can look at the logs then and find the culprit and if there is one solution, maybe then it can be suggested.

Reaction score
If you are willing to change to UNIX which is what Mac OS is in a nutshell, why not extend your old computer life and try a Linux distribution like Ubuntu or variant which includes the Gnome Desktop?
I promise you, its much better than going Apple, it is cheaper, and these days its hard to find older hardware that is not well supported.

Or if your hardware is not new (pre skylake), Windows 7 is mature, stable and supported until 2020.

My 2c.

I have definitely considered Ubuntu which I've played around with in the past but right now plain old Windows 10 works and does everything I need it to do. I'm noticing that the Security updates are still downloading and installing okay. This computer is 8 years old and the disk drive no longer ejects though it shows up in devices as working fine. I'm now wondering if that is the culprit.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@ambimom

Look at my previous reply.

This drive that doesnt eject, you mean a DVD/CD/BLURAY drive?
If it is, easy, if your system is a Desktop even easier. If its a Desktop you can unplug the drive, if its a Laptop, you can just pull it out after unscrewing the one single screw holding it attached to the Laptop chassis.

Then try the install.

Also, all Laptop/Desktop optical drives have a tiny hole in bezel near eject button, you can insert a paper clip straight in and it will hit the surface inside, now push a little harder but in stable manner, it will offer resistance but it will slowly push the drive tray open.

Reaction score
It's an optical drive but it doesn't have one of those holes; I know because when it first began acting up I searched like crazy for it! :) The only way to unplug the drive is to open the case and unplug the connection.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
If its a slot drive, then it wont be obvious eject hole as its usually its hidden under the front bezel, but, you can unplug it physically and easily test your suspicion, if it is that, then, you should pretty soon find out.

@ambimom dont forget the setup logs ;)

Reaction score
Tried one last time this morning. Ran the Update Tool to find problems. Everything allegedly fixed. I removed the optical disk drive. I uninstalled Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes, I unplugged everything but the mouse, the monitor and ethernet. I paused Carbonite, stopped mail and gadgets, booted. Tried the Creator Media Tool again. It restarted twice and this time crashed at 38 percent.

This computer will not update to Windows Creator...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Out of curiosity what Processor is on your 8 year old computer?

I know during pre release certain processors were not supported but was of the belief Microsoft and the manufacturers were working together to resolve that. Perhaps there is no resolution, yet, or perhaps there never will be a resolution. It may be worth checking manufacturer website for your computer to see whether there are any release notes.

Ask a Question