SOLVED Windows credentials password question

Reaction score
Am trying to connect three computers. In Network, all computers and devices show up. I have done away with Homegroup as I couldn't get it to work and indeed never needed it in Windows7.
Before I get into any in-depth research, what is the password that is asked for when I try to access another of the computers? The box shows my email address and a box for the password. I have no idea which password this is. I don't have a password for signing on as I have set the settings to skip this.
Is it a Network password of some sort such as my Modem Network Key or something I have set up previously?
Thanks

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You need a user name and password on the PC that is sharing the network resource, with proper permissions to access that shared resource.
The format is MachineName\UserName
So if you are attempting to authenticate to "PC2" from "PC1", when you are prompted for credentials you simply type
PC2\UserName (where UserName, is the name of a user on PC2 with appropriate permissions to access the share)
P@$$w0rd (where P@$$w0rd is the correct password for that user on PC2)

Reaction score
I am not sure how the Advanced sharing settings may effect your situation. If you turn off Password protected sharing, would that allow those without accounts or passwords on the target computer? I don't suppose it will accept a blank password?

I have always wondered, since I don't think running without a password is a good practice, if you don't need a password to sign in is there still one on that system?

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. First thing I did was to give each computer a password so I had something to fill in when asked. Current situation is:

PC1 can access PC3
PC1 NO access PC2
PC2 can access PC1 and PC3
PC3 can access PC1 NO access PC2

So although PC2 can access the other computers, the other computers cannot access PC2. I cannot see any difference in the settings to explain why this is so.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is PC2 running a third party security suite?

Reaction score
My head starts to hurt when I try to keep track of which computers can do what... ;)

Are all computers using the same user type, Microsoft or Local.

Do you have a shared resource on each computer for the user trying to access?

All three have the same Advanced Sharing options enabled?

PCs.JPG

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not familiar with the product but it may require some tweaking to support networking

Reaction score
All using Local accounts. All have same Advanced Sharing Options.
Do you have a shared resource on each computer for the user trying to access? Not sure what you mean here?
Re Avast: as it is on all computers I can't see that it would be an issue but I will have a look.
Will continue to double -check for any difference between computers.
Thanks for replies.

Reaction score
If the diagram is accurate, no system can access PC2. Possibly you haven't shared anything, such as a document folder on PC2. It has been my experience it is necessary to do so for other computers to access it.

Reaction score
I'm going over all Advanced Sharing Settings but meanwhile I have locked myself out of PC2. The new password I gave it is not working. I am beginning to think it is a password issue. Meanwhile I can't get into the computer to change the password!!!! I've tried every password I have on file for it and none work. I don't have a re-set disk.
I went into the Microsoft Account on another computer and reset the MS password but it still won't let me in. There is a local account as well. That has a separate password. None of them work.
Any other options?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am beginning to think it is a password issue
Be sure to use the "Eye" spy icon in the password text box to confirm that the password is being entered exactly as you expect (case sensitive) and or try the on screen keyboard and see if that produces different results.
If all you have is a Microsoft Live ID (account) and no local account to use then there is nothing you can do locally to change it. What you can do is enable the hidden administrator account to see if you can at least gain access to your PC using that account, then perhaps create a new user from there.
It's a bit of work, but if you're willing to give it a go....
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble - there is a local account as well - I set it up with a password when troubleshooting this networking issue. I've reset the MS account password twice - to no avail. When I try to login there are two little people icons in bottom left hand corner - this has always made me wonder as my other computers don't have that at all. I've tried logging in via both to no avail.

Now going to read your link.

The first line of the instructions says: If you don’t already have one, create a Windows 10 installation drive. When I opened that link it seems a bit outdated now as my build is later than the one specified. Also I read: Microsoft Pulls Windows 10 November Update ISO Files so am wondering if it is no longer possible.

What do you think about using Offline NT Password & Registry Editor? http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/offlinentpwed.htm. This completely deletes passwords or at least the local one only, not the MS one from what I have read.

At some stage I think it still needs an ISO disk.

Last edited:

Ask a Question