"Windows Defender has been turned off..." pop up messegue

Reaction score
Hello to all
Since July upgrading to Windows 10 Pro all was working fine. I have used SpyBot Search and Destroy, System Mechanic and even Malwarebytes, all together with default Windows Defender.
A few days ago started Windows Defender and a pop up windows come about stating:
"This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer. If you are using another app to
check for malicious or unwanted software, use Security and Maintenance to check that app's status."​
I installed Avast as protection meanwhile. I would like to return to WD. I also uninstalled Malwarebytes already. But I'm no expert and afraid to mess-up things. How can I safely return to Windows Defender.? you help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Windows 10 defender will run with Spybot and malware bytes. Defender, by default will disable itself when 3rd party virus protection programs are installed such as Avast. If you prefer to run Defender then you will have to disable or uninstall Avast. This will allow you to enable Windows Defender. Personally I think Avast is a better antivirus program than Defender. Defender is a mediocre antivirus program that's installed by default by Windows 10.

http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-disable-or-enable-windows-defender/

Reaction score
On the other hand there is some unproven evidence that some aftermarket AV programs have caused W10 installs and updates to fail.

Reaction score
The antivirus programs are obviously doing their job then. Windows 10 is malware / ransomware.
MS with Windows 10 has ruined more home and business PC's than any virus has ever done.

I read on this forum today that users have reverted to running movies continuously or installing 3rd party programs (block sleep) to avoid (quiet time) to prevent MS installing updates. That's pretty bad. Sadly, I have now reverted to unplugging my my Ethernet connection to avoid my PC from being used as a server. Personally I see a class action law suit on the horizon for invasion of privacy and or loss of productivity. MS has become thieves in the night, overnight.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If the OP wants to revert back to Windows Defender than he/she will need to uninstall Avast. You must go to the Avast site and download their uninstall program to do it. Follow the instructions. Failure to use the uninstall program will result in pieces of Avast still being on the computer.

Ask a Question