SOLVED Windows Defender not running in real-time

Reaction score
I have uninstalled AVG CloudCare and ran AVGremover to get rid of left over files.
AVG CloudCare was replace by Avast CloudCare and I have since uninstalled this and ran Avastclean program.
I uninstall Malewarebytes program. There are no other anti-virus or maleware programs on this PC.
I wanted Windows Defender to be my only anti-virus program.
When I bring up the Windows Defender Security Center and go to Virus & Threat Protection Settings it shows that the Real-time protection, Cloud-delivered protection, Automatic sample submission, Controlled folder access are in "off" position and grayed out. They can't be changed.
I am gathering from this that Windows Defender is not fully running and protecting my PC. How do I fix it so that I can get the full benefit of the program? Thanks

Reaction score
First look in the startup tab of the file manger, and, if you see your previous antivirus listed there, disable it.
Ot may be off in the Services:
  1. Press Windows key + R. This will open Run. Alternatively, you can right click Start and select 'Run'.
  2. In Run dialog box, type 'services.msc' and hit enter.
  3. In Services, search for 'Security Center'.Make sure it is running. :-
  4. Right click on 'Security Center' and click on 'Restart'.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose "Run" and type
services.msc
hit enter or click OK
Scroll down and examine your settings on the services captured in the image below.

Capture2.PNG

Reaction score
I have uninstalled AVG CloudCare and ran AVGremover to get rid of left over files.
AVG CloudCare was replace by Avast CloudCare and I have since uninstalled this and ran Avastclean program.
I uninstall Malewarebytes program. There are no other anti-virus or maleware programs on this PC.
I wanted Windows Defender to be my only anti-virus program.
When I bring up the Windows Defender Security Center and go to Virus & Threat Protection Settings it shows that the Real-time protection, Cloud-delivered protection, Automatic sample submission, Controlled folder access are in "off" position and grayed out. They can't be changed.
I am gathering from this that Windows Defender is not fully running and protecting my PC. How do I fix it so that I can get the full benefit of the program? Thanks

Reaction score
I ran 'services.msc' and the 'Security Center' was running and I restarted it. No change.
I also checked the startup tab and there are no anti-virus programs listed.
Any other ideas?

Reaction score
"Automatic sample submission, Controlled folder access are in "off" position and grayed out. They can't be changed.

I appears to me that your security settings are controlled by a Local Administrators account, that's the reason why they are greyed out. Log in as the Local Administrator, choose the settings for the protection you desire. The new settings (Controlled folder access) will now be reflected in Local User / Guest Accounts.

Reaction score
I am logged in as the Local Administrator on my stand-alone PC.
Please elaborate on what you mean by "choose the settings for the protection you desire."
What settings and where do I find them?
Thanks

Reaction score
I was referring to Defender settings. And it appears from your OP that you've already been there.

"When I bring up the Windows Defender Security Center and go to Virus & Threat Protection Settings it shows that the Real-time protection, Cloud-delivered protection, Automatic sample submission, Controlled folder access are in "off" position and grayed out. They can't be changed.

Go to Settings > Update and Security > Windows Defender. You have the option to turn ON OFF Cloud Protection, Controlled Folder Access, Allow Apps through Controlled Folder Access... If these options are greyed out they are Administrator controlled.

Ask a Question