Windows defender

Reaction score
When turning on computer it goes directly to windows defender offline, goes thru the scan and bring up window PC unable to boot device,it says inaccessible boot device. Then goes back again to windows defender, repeating this the whole time. Help

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mona,

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you please clarify for me:
  • Did you while normally logged in enable the option to do an Offline Windows Defender scan, or
  • Did you download and create a Windows Defender offline startup disk?

If the latter, Windows 10 does not accept a startup disk using Windows Defender, given its now a built in tool, and that could explain the error code you are seeing.

Your best bet would be to download and create a Windows 10 installation disk, on a working computer, making sure you download a windows image that matches the version of Windows currently on your troubled computer. That means ensuring its either Home, Professional or Enterprise, 32 or 64-bit, and the language you set as default.

Having done that insert into troubled computer and boot from it to allow you to get to a recovery console and select the option to Repair Windows Startup.

Assuming that is successful, when you are able to log back in, do a full system scan for any infections - just in case.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
It is acer aspire and I must of did windows defender which you say Windows 10 doesn't use. I am not very computer illiterate so I need more info on how to do this on my own. Once I get it down loaded how do I start up the my Acer and put it on that computer.

Reaction score
Can you try to interrupt or stop the offline scan?

If so, perhaps you could get into the options and deselect the offline scan.
I suspect, though, that, as Regedit suggests, you have a virus -possibly a root virus if you cannot boot after the scan.

Last edited:

Ask a Question