SOLVED Windows Defender

Reaction score
I perform regular backup images every Monday. I have a concern regarding Windows Defender Virus and Protection settings. In the main, "Controlled Folder Access" When I create backup images, I now turn OFF the "Controlled Folder Access" setting.
Am I right in my way of thinking that this setting, if enabled, may actually block my imaging software from accessing system folders?
If the "Controlled Folder Access" is enabled, immediately after I create a disk image, I receive a notification in the tray that says something like "Some protected folders could not be accessed" MS don't seem to have a thorough explanation of these new (Fall Update) Defender settings. After the images are created, I turn the Protected Folders back ON.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Not a good answer to your question, but I use a third party imaging program which does not have that problem -defender on or off.

Reaction score
I use both Aomei (Awesome) and Acronis. Each program is dedicated to external HD for imaging.
I don't recall seeing the notification with Acronis, but every once in a while it pops up after backing up with Aomei.

Reaction score
EaseUs Backup Tech support told me for a similar question in their backup their's was for user file access permissions, like Everyone, User A, User B or Group etc.. In other words on restore do you want those same user permissions to be restored. I surmise the backup app can get those items from the file header data.

Although yours might have something to do with something more serious. It kind of sounds like maybe Windows 10 built in EFS (Encrypted File Service). If you have folders/files encrypted with that then my understanding is you’ll ONLY be able to access the encrypted item with the login of the account that originally encrypted it. Other user accounts no matter what user permissions won’t be able to access it. It would not be a matter of an admin acct simply changing the group or user, rather the file would remain locked forever without the original user acct login password or possibly even from inside the same original user acct. I would never use such a thing myself since any other admin permission user could rename your user acct (password) with net user (YourUser) newpassword from outside your acct and render all your files locked forever. Or possibly until you changed the password back to the same thing.

I like backup apps that have tech support that can readily answer such questions. Windows items don't always give such. For not too much money you can do rock solid image backups with EaseUs and a very good and diverse setting file backup is Backup4All. I use both.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I believe my problem was in fact with an encrypted USB drive that contains "File History Backup" unlocking the device or ejecting it has stopped the random notifications. "Some protected folders could not be accessed"

Ask a Question