Windows defender

Reaction score
After install avast internet security, windows defender not working.(this app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer) i uninstalled avast and i couldnt restart WD. i tried to start manually from windows services but it says error577.. now my pc is unprotected. how can i fix this problem?

Reaction score
After install avast internet security, windows defender not working.(this app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer) i uninstalled avast and i couldnt restart WD. i tried to start manually from windows services but it says error577.. now my pc is unprotected. how can i fix this problem?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dasun,

I've not used Avast but many third party security programs disable Windows Defender by default as its not a good idea to be running two security programs at the same time.

As you have now uninstalled Avast and want Windows Defender working again you'll need to take a look at whether Avast modified a Registry key to disable Windows Defender.

This can be done doing the following:
  • Right-click on Start > now left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the UAC Confirmation window pops up click Yes
  • In the command window type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender"

Press Enter key to execute

If this key has been modified you will see a result similar to the sample image below:

cmdsample.png

Other entries you may see appear could be:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection]
    "DisableBehaviorMonitoring"=dword:00000001
    "DisableOnAccessProtection"=dword:00000001
    "DisableScanOnRealtimeEnable"=dword:00000001
If you can report back on your reg query results telling me what you see there I can assist you in correcting this in order to allow you to use Windows Defender again.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dasun,

I've not used Avast but many third party security programs disable Windows Defender by default as its not a good idea to be running two security programs at the same time.

As you have now uninstalled Avast and want Windows Defender working again you'll need to take a look at whether Avast modified a Registry key to disable Windows Defender.

This can be done doing the following:
  • Right-click on Start > now left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the UAC Confirmation window pops up click Yes
  • In the command window type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender"

Press Enter key to execute

If this key has been modified you will see a result similar to the sample image below:

View attachment 3189

Other entries you may see appear could be:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection]
    "DisableBehaviorMonitoring"=dword:00000001
    "DisableOnAccessProtection"=dword:00000001
    "DisableScanOnRealtimeEnable"=dword:00000001
If you can report back on your reg query results telling me what you see there I can assist you in correcting this in order to allow you to use Windows Defender again.

Regards,

Regedit32
It is working... now WD working fine.. thank you very much!! :)

Ask a Question