Windows Delivery Optimisation

Reaction score
I have been experiencing a problem with my Internet connection. At times the Internet speed will drop from a normal 20/25 Mbps to 1,0 Mbps, and at times even lower. This occurs throughout the day and evenings. I have had the tecnician twice check it out and he has replaced a few connectors and said that's all he can do.
I realize that being on a neighborhood shared connection, the speed will vary, determined by the number of people using the connection. But it should never drop to such an extent. Even the technician agrees with this.
As I write this, the Internet speed shows a download speed of 2.76 Mbps. (The maximum I pay for is 30 Mbps.) This test is with my ISP provider.

This is not computer related, because I had the problem on my older computer which has been replaced with a new one.
This drop in speed occurs simultaneously with my wife's computer. While my computer is on WiFi, hers is on LAN cable.

Okay, long explanation, now for my question.

Is it possible that the Windows Delivery Optimization is causing these severe drops? I have read that the utility can eat up all the bandwidth. If so, can this be uninstalled safely and will I still receive updates?

Or does anyone have a thought on what might be causing the drop in speed? It is really annoying, to say the least.

Thank you

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    35.9 KB · Views: 530
Reaction score
The first instance is that your on WIFI with the computer your showing having the issue correct? If so my first question is Did you secure your router so no other computer is piggy-backing on your WIFI? If not you should research your router & secure it with a password so this can be stopped. Another suggestion would be to not only secure your router but as well your Home Network. It's important to be secure in todays World unless you trust everyone with your information.
With all that being said another good thing I do weekly in I keep my DNS flushed. You can google search that for further information however it is very simple to do, here are the steps:

Go to search type in CMD / Right click on COMMAND PROMPT & run it as administrator / when the User Account Control box appears SELECT yes. In the Administrative Command Prompt box type in the following command line:
ipconfig /flushdns Then press ENTER / It should then say Successfully Flushed the dns resolver cache.

Once I complete this another command line I enter weekly is the sfc scan. This scan will repair most all Windows related registry errors. to complete the scan it as well is rather simple.

Go to search type in CMD / Right click on COMMAND PROMPT & run it as administrator / when the User Account Control box appears SELECT yes. In the Administrative Command Prompt box type in the following command line:
sfc /scannow Then press ENTER / Allow the scan to complete & if there are problems you can reply back here for any help you might need here on the forums.

Secure Your Internet Connection if you haven't done so!

Good Luck :)

Reaction score
Appreciate your reply but none of thesuggested items helped. I too, flush the dns at least once a week and more if it builds up too fast. I also check my registry weekly.
My router is secure with a password.
Both of your suggestions are good for everyone to follow.

Reaction score
Yes, and there seems to be no problems when I run rhepacket tests. That is no losses show up.

Ask a Question