SOLVED Windows Essentials after Jan 10 2017

Ann

Reaction score
I recently read the latest release notes and they mentioned that support for Windows Essentials will cease on that date but that we will still be able to download up until that date ... my question is what happens after that date for anyone needing to download for instance Windows Live mail or movie maker ????
Anyone heard anything about this ????
Ann

Reaction score
The operative word is "support" In essence, this means that there will be no updates and requests for help (from MS) will fall on deaf ears. Their have not been any updates for some years, so that threat can be discounted.
The main consideration is that it will no longer sync or sync to Ms services such as Live Mai/Hotmail and the like. Even this, with some manual changes to the ingoing and outgoing servers, can be made to work.
It is still one of the most comprehensive and functional desktop programs available. This is applicable to the Mail program, in particular.
It can be downloaded independently of Microsoft, from third party sites, as can Net Framework 3.5, and essential requirement to install the Email program.
It will continue, as always, to send and receive any non Microsoft email, for example, from your own internet provider.

I have read a post here, where it stated that it would become incompatible with Windows 10. I have no evidence of Microsoft having said that .

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ann,

Windows Essential 2012 Suite can be downloaded from here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/17779/download-windows-essentials

As you correctly noted Microsoft will cease supporting this Product on January 10, 2017. At that time you will no longer be able to download this Suite, so if you are wanting it, now is the time to get it.

The Suite itself includes:
  • Photo Gallery
  • Movie Maker
  • Windows Live Writer
  • Windows Live Mail
  • OneDrive

Note: If you install this suite, Photo Gallery and Movie Maker will both be installed as they are interdependent. This is a change from the Windows Essentials 2011 edition. OneDrive will also install, replacing the former Windows Live Mesh from the 2011 or earlier Suite installations.

In terms of what happens beyond January 10, 2017 Microsoft provide information on this here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/13785

Keep an eye on this page as Microsoft may change conditions at any time.

For now they the key points are:
  • After January 10, 2017 you can no longer download Windows Essentials 2012 Suite
  • After January 10, 2017, Windows Movie Maker and Photo Gallery will continue to work, but will no longer be supported with updates of any kind.
  • After January 10, 2017, Windows Line Mail will continue to work, however some Email Servers will be using new Security Protocols that Windows Live Mail does not support. This means if you are using Windows Live Mail and need to access email from one of these Servers, you will not be able to.

Thus there are recommendations to use the Windows 10 Mail app instead. There are alternative options here too of course such as Thunderbird Email Client that works well on Windows 10.

• After January 10, 2017 using the Live Writer, Live Mail will increase security threats for you given Microsoft is no longer providing updates for these which in the past may have been a security patch when they became aware of a security flaw in the software.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Reaction score
I recently read the latest release notes and they mentioned that support for Windows Essentials will cease on that date but that we will still be able to download up until that date ... my question is what happens after that date for anyone needing to download for instance Windows Live mail or movie maker ????
Anyone heard anything about this ????
Ann

Well if you want to continue to use it after that you need to save the install file somewhere safe. SO if you get a new system after Jan 2017 just copy the install file and install it.

Ann

Reaction score
I have a copy but it is only the installer so am not sure if, after that date, it would actually work and any download I do gives me the same, hopefully more news will be forthcoming after that date ... thank you anyhow

Ann

Ann

Reaction score
The operative word is "support" In essence, this means that there will be no updates and requests for help (from MS) will fall on deaf ears. Their have not been any updates for some years, so that threat can be discounted.
The main consideration is that it will no longer sync or sync to Ms services such as Live Mai/Hotmail and the like. Even this, with some manual changes to the ingoing and outgoing servers, can be made to work.
It is still one of the most comprehensive and functional desktop programs available. This is applicable to the Mail program, in particular.
It can be downloaded independently of Microsoft, from third party sites, as can Net Framework 3.5, and essential requirement to install the Email program.
It will continue, as always, to send and receive any non Microsoft email, for example, from your own internet provider.

I have read a post here, where it stated that it would become incompatible with Windows 10. I have no evidence of Microsoft having said that .

Ann

Reaction score
Thanks for your response ... re support and also the outlook.com issue etc, I was aware of that and as you say it has been worked through for those affected (not myself btw) ... my primary concern was on behalf of those like myself who like WLM and Movie maker ( a lot of youtube are made that way) and who may need to have a new computer after that cut off date. My installer is just that an installer so may not even install essentials on another computer after that date. It is reassuring to know that at least WLM is available from third party sites and I am sure if need be, after that date that W10 forums would recommend some as it is always a risk if unsure which third party sites do not also download the dreaded trojans.
Ann

Ann

Reaction score
Hi Ann,

Windows Essential 2012 Suite can be downloaded from here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/17779/download-windows-essentials

As you correctly noted Microsoft will cease supporting this Product on January 10, 2017. At that time you will no longer be able to download this Suite, so if you are wanting it, now is the time to get it.

The Suite itself includes:
  • Photo Gallery
  • Movie Maker
  • Windows Live Writer
  • Windows Live Mail
  • OneDrive

Note: If you install this suite, Photo Gallery and Movie Maker will both be installed as they are interdependent. This is a change from the Windows Essentials 2011 edition. OneDrive will also install, replacing the former Windows Live Mesh from the 2011 or earlier Suite installations.

In terms of what happens beyond January 10, 2017 Microsoft provide information on this here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/13785

Keep an eye on this page as Microsoft may change conditions at any time.

For now they the key points are:
  • After January 10, 2017 you can no longer download Windows Essentials 2012 Suite
  • After January 10, 2017, Windows Movie Maker and Photo Gallery will continue to work, but will no longer be supported with updates of any kind.
  • After January 10, 2017, Windows Line Mail will continue to work, however some Email Servers will be using new Security Protocols that Windows Live Mail does not support. This means if you are using Windows Live Mail and need to access email from one of these Servers, you will not be able to.

Thus there are recommendations to use the Windows 10 Mail app instead. There are alternative options here too of course such as Thunderbird Email Client that works well on Windows 10.

• After January 10, 2017 using the Live Writer, Live Mail will increase security threats for you given Microsoft is no longer providing updates for these which in the past may have been a security patch when they became aware of a security flaw in the software.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ann

Reaction score
Thank you, you have confirmed what I had read ... I do have essentials installed at present and will continue to use them, at least WLM and movie maker, my concern was to obtain those programs after that cut off date if need be as only an installer is downloading and after that date I do wonder if that will even work. No doubt we shall see ...lol

Reaction score
Come back, in the event. I will help you out with the complete program. And you are correct. The download is 0nly an installer. When run it saves the full program to memory, which is then deleted, after the install.

Ann

Reaction score
Many thanks Dave for the offer if need be, and also confirmation that the download is in actuality only an installer.

GH1

Reaction score
I have an installable version I got off Toms Hardware and it says it cant install it but the files are actually in the Programs Folder It partially runs but not fully

Any ideas

GH1

Reaction score
I have an installable version I got off Toms Hardware and it says it cant install it but the files are actually in the Programs Folder It partially runs but not fully

Any ideas
Ok an Update There are several different versions on Toms Hardware page I d/loaded the UK . The US and generic versions. I got the UK one to work by changing my location to UK and language to UK also. Have reinstalled it 3 times on two different machines and it works fine

Link and how to install is in this thread
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-essentials-no-longer-installs.15554/

Last edited:

Ask a Question