Windows Explorer No Longer Exists

Reaction score
After the update last night I no longer have a Windows Explorer. Or I guess I do but I have no way to access it or anything controlled by it. Luckily I have a popup nag for one of my apps that always comes up on a reboot and when I clicked OK it took me to their website so for some reason Firefox works fine but nothing else. No desktop, no task bar, no start menu, no cmd prompt or power shell. I have tried the Task Manager fix and there is no Windows Explorer or explorer.exe and trying to start it by using TM to start a new process tells me the file doesn't exist. I can't do the regedit fix because I can't access regedit and so on and so forth. No idea why the browser works. My Windows 10 came as a free upgrade and so I have no recovery disks and I can't access the online update or recovery procedures.

How the heck do I get this fixed if I can't access any of the processes for fixing it? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Finally was able to access regedit and the shell file referred to in most of the reg fixes doesn't exist either and a lot of other windows files appear to be missing. Beginning to think I need to reinstall Windows but I can't even figure out how to do that.

Last edited:

Ask a Question