SOLVED Windows Fax and Scan

Reaction score
I cannot File - Open a scanned document in Windows Fax and Scan. I get the following message: "Could not open document for editing". The document used to open and I could make modifications such as cropping or rotating. Any idea how I can get this functionality working again?

Reaction score
Wolfie,

These are .jpg files that would not open. I have all kinds of readers on my computer: Word, Acrobat Reader, etc. The point is that this editing feature within "Windows Fax and Scan" worked previously. After the last major Windows update, I needed to manually re-install via Windows my multifunction printer/scanner's driver. Ever since then, this feature has not worked.

Reaction score
Hi BlueHolly,

what make and model of printer scanner and did you download the drivers from the manufacturers website?.

I had problems with my HP printer/scanner and downloaded the drivers directly from them after Windows screwed it up using the drivers from MS!.

HP website here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/ :)

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi BlueHolly,

When you update Windows 10 it often resets default apps.

For example it will commonly set Edge to be the default to open PDF files.

If you type Default app settings in your search/Cortana field and press Enter key you can change the default for PDF to be Adobe Acrobat Reader, and then Windows Fax and Scan ought to run properly.

You may need to check too what the default setting for .jpg or .jpeg is, as that may need changing for Windows Fax and Scan to function as it did previously.

Reaction score
Hi BlueHolly,

what make and model of printer scanner and did you download the drivers from the manufacturers website?.

I had problems with my HP printer/scanner and downloaded the drivers directly from them after Windows screwed it up using the drivers from MS!.

HP website here:

Hi BlueHolly,

HP website here:

Hi Wolfie-

It was an 11 year-old Brother MFC-8640D multi-function printer/scanner. I used Windows Update to manually update the drivers.

Reaction score
Hi BlueHolly,

When you update Windows 10 it often resets default apps.

For example it will commonly set Edge to be the default to open PDF files.

If you type Default app settings in your search/Cortana field and press Enter key you can change the default for PDF to be Adobe Acrobat Reader, and then Windows Fax and Scan ought to run properly.

You may need to check too what the default setting for .jpg or .jpeg is, as that may need changing for Windows Fax and Scan to function as it did previously.
Regedit32-

Thanks for the post about file associations! This definitely was a problem and has helped. I have now made the appropriate file association and the scanned jpg files open in my desired app. Interestingly, I have no idea what app they opened in previously, but I am able to accomplish what I need to with them in the currently specified app. So, I will mark this thread as closed. Thanks again for the help!

Ask a Question