SOLVED WINDOWS FIRE WALL

Reaction score
In notifications I see a message that Windows Fire Wall is turned off. I don't know if it was ever turned on. Do I need it turned on? I have Norton 360 monitoring my computer. Does one conflict with the other?

Reaction score
Yes, they do conflict with each other. Provided at least one of the firewalls is active, you should be ok. I use Norton 360 myself, and also see this and other similar messages. Sometimes, Windows 10 displays these messages late while your system is booting. Again, as long as you know that 360's firewall is active, you don't have a problem.

Reaction score
I do not use Norton at all. In fact I avoid it with a 10-foot pole.
In my understanding, Norton 360 is expected to turn off Windows firewall because Norton has it's own firewall.

May I stick my neck out and make a suggestion ?
Uninstall Norton.
Use Windows' own Defender and firewall.
Install the free edition of Malwarebytes as your on-demand protection which you run say once a week to make sure the machine is clean.
That is the setup I have on my Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. I never have any security issue since the days of Windows 8 and Insider Preview 9841.

I would venture further to say, if you uninstall Norton, your issues with Settings, Start Menu, Cortana might get rectified by itself.
I think your Norton is interfering. Too intrusive. Personal opinion only.

Last edited:

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
As long as you have one on then your computer is protected.
I have McAfee Live Safe which keeps my system safe.
So I do not need to turn on windows Firewall or Windows Defender.
The reason I don't use Windows Defender is because I myself don't trust it.

Reaction score
In my understanding, Norton 360 is expected to turn off Windows firewall because Norton has it's own firewall.

Uninstall Norton.
Install the free edition of Malwarebytes as your on-demand protection which you run say once a week to make sure the machine is clean.
That is the setup I have on my Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. I never have any security issue since the days of Windows 8 and Insider Preview 9841.

I would venture further to say, if you uninstall Norton, your issues with Settings, Start Menu, Cortana might get rectified by itself.
I agree with you. Your success is proof positive that your recommendation is valid. That is what I use as well.

Reaction score
In notifications I see a message that Windows Fire Wall is turned off. I don't know if it was ever turned on. Do I need it turned on? I have Norton 360 monitoring my computer. Does one conflict with the other?

If you have already paid for Norton 360, of course you would want to keep using it.
It is your choice.

Reaction score

Uninstall Norton.

Reaction score
Thanks David but I need to keep Norton because my subscription is paid up for three computers for the next 16 months. I'll consider changing when that time is up.

Reaction score
Thanks David but I need to keep Norton because my subscription is paid up for three computers for the next 16 months. I'll consider changing when that time is up.

Of course.
Meanwhile we will have to find ways to fix your other problems.
I am pretty much out of ideas.
Sorry.

Reaction score
You can remove Norton and not lose the subscription. I had a free trial and even though I oped out it was still valid and I could reclaim it at any time.

Reaction score

Uninstall Norton.

I also use windows Defender it gets the job done quietly in the background and speeds up your PC
I wouldn't use Norton as it is like having a virus on your PC when uninstalling it its best to use the uninstalling tool. ;)

Ask a Question