Windows hard drive detection issue

Reaction score
I am running Windows 10 Home.
I have 2 1TB hard drives. My system drive C and file drive F.
All of a sudden my F drive is no longer recognised within windows. Both drives detected by the motherboard, however when windows loads it vanishes.
I have went into disk management and rescanned for drives. No change.
I have physically removed drive F and hooked up a spare 500gb drive I had lying around. Detected before boot but not after.

I have checked all sata and power connections. Even swapped the power and sata cables and swapped sata connections on the motherboard.

Connected a third hard drive and same situation. Detected before boot but not by windows. What could be causing this very annoying issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I've no idea what's going on, but.....
Do you have a means by which you can connect the problem drive(s) externally via USB cabling or perhaps a USB docking station?
OR
Do you have a second working computer that you can use to connect the drives internally and test if they exhibit the same behavior on a different computer?

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and thank you for all of your answers. Windows did eventually detect my F drive. I haven't a clue what happened.
I did have an issue a few days ago where my rear USB ports stopped working and also my monitor switched off at the same time. I thought maybe the PSU is on the way out. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Hi Carlhudz,

if you are having multiple problems, it might be your RAM ?, take a stick out; one at a time and check your systems performance. ;)

Have you also run an Antivirus scan?. :eek:

Ask a Question