Windows Icon died during last upgrade I presume

Reaction score
I had that problem when I first installed Windows 10.
After repeat uninstall and re-install we were told to remove my security software before re-installation, and voila it worked like a treat.
What is it now? a year or 18 month later and the same problem again, the opening button is dead.

Any thoughts in the matter, I might not have expressed myself clearly. Please ask.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Any thoughts in the matter,
Not really.... we're still seeing this from time to time and there doesn't seem to be any definitive solution.
Among the posts that you will undoubtedly find if you search....
Some people have found that the simple act of uninstalling a program seems to shake something loose and the Start Button seems to work again afterwards.
DropBox seems to be the one that a lot of people reference, but there are any number of others including Chrome and as you've mentioned AV products including even Malwarebytes.
I'm not so sure that the name of the program is particularly significant, more that the act of uninstalling seems to have the impact.
What is even more interesting is that once the uninstall is performed and the Start Menu Button works again, they reinstall the same program and it does not seem to re-introduce the problem again, so......
In summary.... IDK.

Ask a Question