SOLVED Windows Insider Update to Build 16215

Reaction score
I purchased a used Dell Inspiron 3520 Laptop to be used specifically as a Windows Insider Machine.

It's specifications:
i5-3210M
Intel HD Graphics 4000
500 GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO
8 GB RAM

It had Windows 10 Home installed on it when I got it. The version was older than the current "Creators Update", so I wiped the drive and installed Creator's Update build 15063.0. I placed all my software on this version. I then updated to build 15063.413 and checked to see if everything was working. Having been a Windows Insider member previously, I set the machine to download and install build 16215, apparently the latest Insider build. The machine failed to update to 16215 three times. I downloaded and saved a copy of 16215, placed it on a double layer DVD (as it was larger than 6 GB) and attempted install.

The result ... an error message "0xC1900101-0x30017 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation".

Apparently, at one time this machine booted from UEFI, but the drive was formatted to NTFS MBR format, and now boots from BIOS. Could that cause the problem?

Any ideas or solutions?

Reaction score
Continuing ... the machine just attempted to again install 16215. It failed with the following error ... 0xc0000374.

Going to the Event Viewer, I found this log ...

System
-
Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
[ Guid] {945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658}
EventID 20
Version 1
Level 2
Task 1
Opcode 13
Keywords 0x8000000000000028
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2017-06-18T05:56:48.226182000Z
EventRecordID 2568
Correlation
-
Execution
[ ProcessID] 2736
[ ThreadID] 9120
Channel System
Computer Dell3520
- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
errorCode
0xc0000374
updateTitle Windows 10 Insider Preview 16215.1000 (rs_prerelease)
updateGuid {A4495EB4-0F75-43C0-87B8-82AAAE10F93B}
updateRevisionNumber 1
serviceGuid {8B24B027-1DEE-BABB-9A95-3517DFB9C552}

Reaction score
UEFI and MBR do not get along at all. Either you set the BIOS to legacy and use the MBR or you leave the Bios on UEFI and reformat the drive to GPT. These are the only options.
Out of curiosity: Why would you install an unstable version (insider) over a well running version (15063.413)?
And where did you get the ISO for the latest Insider version (unless you made it yourself) ?

Reaction score
I am no longer in the Insider program either, but I would have gone to the Settings-Windows Update-Insiders Build link and upgraded through that.

For now, if your DVD is a good copy, you should have been able to start the setup from within Windows to get it to upgrade.

If you wanted to do a clean install, the DVD must be in the drive prior to booting and the UEFI version has to be selected to guarantee the system will install as UEFI.

Can you still boot the original system or is it gone? Did you make any changes to the Bios settings regarding Secure Boot or UEFI?

Reaction score
I*m not participating in the insider program, currently, Grizzly. But I do see, all over the Internet, that build 215 is now available for download??

Not according to the official website I go for downloads:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced

the downloads that I found for the version 16125 ISO's stored mostly on Russian servers. Of course one can make an ISO from the ESD/UUP file that is been downloaded when a new version is released.
The latest officially released insider ISO is the 15193.

Reaction score
OK. For the hell of it, I just rejoined the insider (fast ring). Within two minutes i go this

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
UEFI and MBR do not get along at all. Either you set the BIOS to legacy and use the MBR or you leave the Bios on UEFI and reformat the drive to GPT. These are the only options.
Out of curiosity: Why would you install an unstable version (insider) over a well running version (15063.413)?
And where did you get the ISO for the latest Insider version (unless you made it yourself) ?
I own 8 computers for various reasons and I have been using one of those computers to run the Windows Insiders builds of Windows 10. The computer I was using for this purpose is older and I decided to retire it (actually, I wiped the drive, reinstalled a stable version of Win 10, and sold it). I purchased the Dell 3520 specifically for the purpose of running the Insider Beta versions of Windows 10. And I downloaded the new version from a "trusted" source ... not Microsoft, but from a friend that had made his own version. As far as running UEFI and MBR, I totally wiped the drive before installation, and did the changes in the BIOS necessary to make this work.

Reaction score
I*m not participating in the insider program, currently, Grizzly. But I do see, all over the Internet, that build 215 is now available for download??

On examination, it does look as though your machine could be problematic. Possibly the original Home edition was as far as it could go.

have a look here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19634953
Thanks, Dave, but that link didn't seem to help. The machine was, of course, not Windows 10 when it was purchased new (by the former owner), but they had successfully updated it to Windows 10 Home by the time I bought it. All my other computers are Windows 10 Pro, but i left this one as the Home version as it was legally activated that way.

I would not be surprised if I could actually get this thing to boot into 16215 if I did a clean install of Win 10 Pro, but it wouldn't be activated.

Reaction score
I am no longer in the Insider program either, but I would have gone to the Settings-Windows Update-Insiders Build link and upgraded through that.

For now, if your DVD is a good copy, you should have been able to start the setup from within Windows to get it to upgrade.

If you wanted to do a clean install, the DVD must be in the drive prior to booting and the UEFI version has to be selected to guarantee the system will install as UEFI.

Can you still boot the original system or is it gone? Did you make any changes to the Bios settings regarding Secure Boot or UEFI?
The original system was wiped. On first installation of 15063, I ran into a problem because it would not install in either UEFI or MBR, and I had difficulty opening the case to get the hard drive out ... some of the screws were stripped and would not come out ... so I gave up on that thought. I then used GParted and formatted some of the partitions as MBR, changed from UEFI to Legacy in the BIOS, and was able to install. I did, however, have some BOOT problems, so I eventually, using Mini-Tool Partitioning, merged all 5 partitions on the drive to one NTFS partition. That is how the machine sits now. And when I try to install 16215 over 15063.413, the installation seems to work perfectly until, at the very end, when I get the command to reboot to finish the install, and I do so, the reboot gives an error message "0xC1900101-0x30017 the installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation".

Perhaps I should reformat the drive to GPT and change the BIOS from Legacy to UEFI?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Ok, I decided to try using the UEFI format by going to GPT and did some research. I found that Microsoft has included a non destructive (no loss of data) Command Line solution for this and it is rather easy. Going to the Command Line (running as administrator) you type in (without the quotes) "mbr2gpt /allowFullOS /convert" and in just a few seconds you have the GPT format. Reboot, enter BIOS, and change your boot from "Legacy" to "UEFI" and boot again and you will have a GPT drive.

Now to see whether Build 16215 will install ... I am awaiting the completion and will report back.

Reaction score
Well, that didn't work. Installation went well. After installation, the screen reported that "Configuring Update for Windows 10 was at 100%. It then Started "Working on Updates" and it got to 13 or 14% and crashed. Thankfully, MS has a feature to restore the computer to the last good configuration, in this case 15063.413 and it did. i lost nothing but time.

Reaction score
It's likely a driver crashed, don't know which one is killing it.
When you perform the install, don't let it do updates.

Reaction score
Ok ... I think the change from UEFI to Legacy caused the problem, so i decided to start all over again. As i reported previously, I used the Windows Command Line Program mbr2gpt.exe to return the hard drive to proper UEFI formatting, and changed the BIOS to reflect that. So i decided to start the process clean. I booted to the Build 16215 .iso, formatted the hard drive so that it was clean as possible, and installed. It worked. I was not concerned about saving software installations or losing personal files or documents as this is not a work computer and everything I need is already on my other computers and backed up on separate hard drives. So the solution was to start anew, which frequently is the best solution for a lot of problems. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.

Ask a Question