Windows Installer reconfigures programs on startup

Reaction score
This started a few days ago and is reconfiguring most installed programs every startup. Is this necessary since it consumes resources and delays full usage. If not necessary, how to I put a stop to this? I have a newer Dell desktop running Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you explain, what you mean by "reconfigures"?
I don't believe I've ever experienced or heard of such behavior.

Reaction score
Not sure what it is doing either. Here is an example of the explanation shown for one of 337 programs reconfigured this morning at startup as shown in the Reliability Monitor panel:

"Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft Office Access MUI (English) 2010. Product Version: 14.0.7015.1000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0."
For all the other programs reconfigured, I get the similar explanation?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi David, I found the same issue on my HP laptop, 3 years with Windows 8.1.
I posted on the Microsoft community one week ago, but I've not still received any solution.
Also, I performed all the actions and settings for a clean boot, cleaning also the startup entries and the registry, but without any result.
Furthermore, I started to experience these troubles after the installation of the French Language pack. After this, Windows update proposed me something like 30 updates, most of them regarding .NET. After installation of all Patches the problem started.
I'm not an expert, but I feel that there is something wrong with .NET.
I hope someone else will try to help us, however I will update this post with any news from the Microsoft italian community.
bye

umberto

Reaction score
Hi David, I found the same issue on my HP laptop, 3 years with Windows 8.1.
I posted on the Microsoft community one week ago, but I've not still received any solution.
Also, I performed all the actions and settings for a clean boot, cleaning also the startup entries and the registry, but without any result.
Furthermore, I started to experience these troubles after the installation of the French Language pack. After this, Windows update proposed me something like 30 updates, most of them regarding .NET. After installation of all Patches the problem started.
I'm not an expert, but I feel that there is something wrong with .NET.
I hope someone else will try to help us, however I will update this post with any news from the Microsoft italian community.
bye

umberto
Hi umberto, I downloaded and installed the lastest Windows 10 Home version but I see this AM the reconfiguring of programs shows up in the reliability index panel. Still have not resolved this!

Reaction score
Where did you view the Reliability Monitor panel. I vaguely remember this in Windows 7, but would be interested in checking having a look in Windows 10.

Reaction score
I typed "view reliability history" in Windows search at bottom left of screen or go to Control panel and select view computer status, them maintenance, then view reliability history.

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. I was a little puzzled by the reference to "index". I do have the monitor,
To date, hopefully for ever(!!) I have no messages there.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Easiest way like Dave McAffee says is just type it in after clicking the start button, but.....
If you ever want to browse to it

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Not a subject for this thread, but, truth is, I use the icon menu (similar to what was once called the "modern" menu) I have all the executives displayed in groups. So, for me, it is just one click for anything, in reality.
Tks anyway. I do know where it is, as I said,
I I think one way the op could better resolve the problem, would be to use the event viewer, after clearing it?

Reaction score
Today is Microsoft patch day for my Win 8.1, there are 11 updates, let's see if something changes!

Update: no changes :(, laptop stuck 20 minutes at almost 100% CPU and HD usage...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like I have solved the issue that was causing Windows Installer to reconfigure all my applications each time my computer started. I noticed the first application to be reconfigured everytime was "HPDiagnosticAlerts" so I decided to remove all the HP programs related to this. I have a HP Photosmart C4180 All In One printer with all the related programs attached to my computer. I uninstalled "HP Support Solutions Framework" and "HP Support Assistant".
This appears to have solved the issue.
If the issue re-appears in the future, I will provide an update.
Thanks for all your comments.

Reaction score
This started a few days ago and is reconfiguring most installed programs every startup. Is this necessary since it consumes resources and delays full usage. If not necessary, how to I put a stop to this? I have a newer Dell desktop running Windows 10.
Hi Dave,
I have the same problem too.Detected casually taking a look to my reliability system panel.
I have a Lenovo Y70-70 totally new just upgraded to Win10.Norton anti virus is being used.
I hope someone will be able at least to explain why this happens.
Thanks in advance.
Luca

Attachments

• After starting up many applications are reconfigured.pdf
    274.1 KB · Views: 574
Reaction score
You can try what I did (reply #13 above). Look at the Reliability History and see if the same application shows at the start of the reconfiguration process each time. If you can safely uninstall that application, you may solve your issue like I did.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
the problem disappeared just following your workaround.
I had installed in my pc many programms related to HP:HP support assistant,HP support solution Framework,Hp update.After uninstalling all of them,as you suggested,my laptop stopped reconfiguring all the apps during the startup phase.
I will keep on monitoring my reliability panel but after many reboots no reconfiguring operations appear.
Thank you very much for you kind and prompt support.
Luca

Reaction score
Hi all, it WORKS!
Issues seem related to the last version of the bloatware HP Support Assitant, currently version 8.
Well, on my Windows 8.1 64 bit I did not found HP SUpport Assistant in the software uninstall utility. I found HP Support Solutions Framework, tried to uninstall and got the error "impossible to uninstall, the software is required for HP support assistant"...ok HP, thank you very much for you garbage, let's workaround.

Solution 1: UNINSTALL
Download the last version of HP Support Assistant, open the .exe with RAR or 7zip, extract to a folder and launch the uninstaller that you will find inside. This should remove correctly all the HP Support Assistant stuff.

Solution 2: DEACTIVATE
Launch msconfig, go to Servces and deactivate HP Software Framework Service, HP Service, HP Support Solutions Framework Service and HPWMISVC.
Then open the "Services" utility. Select one by one HP Service, HP Software Framework Service, HP Support Solutions Framework Service and HPWMISVC, go to "properties" and set the activation to manual or disabled.
Finally open Task Scheduler, go to the HP folder, then disable all entries in the HP Support Assistant and HP Active Health subfolders.

I tried the second solution and after some day it is still working without any problem!

Umberto

Ask a Question