Windows keeps crashing

Reaction score
So today I moved into my dorm with my built PC and at first everything was working perfectly (I was using it for a few hours). I stepped away for a little and when I came back and tried to log in, the log in screen froze and the computer blue screened. When I restarted it, it went straight to the BIOS instead of windows. I tried restarting multiple times and every time I get one of three things:
1. It goes to the Bios screen and when I try to boot it just goes back to the bios
2. It goes to the windows login screen, freezes, blue screens, then goes to the BIOS
3. It goes to the windows troubleshooting screen. I've tried to have it debug without success and I've tried to reset the computer multiple times. Each time it will go through the process, but then when it finishes and goes back to the windows login screen, it just freezes and does the same stuff. Anyone have any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
today I moved into my dorm
I suspect that something might have loosened up during the move.
You'll need to open it up and check all connections, SATA cables (both ends)..... reseat memory modules, confirm that power supply connections to motherboard and video card (if present) are secure and firmly seated.
And you should probably double check that the processor is seated properly and the heatsink is connected firmly and the cooling fan is operating properly.

Reaction score
I tried everything but reseating the cpu as I don't have more thermal paste here. It unfortunately didn't fix the problem. I believe that it's probably corrupted windows that's my problem as the symptoms are very consistent, the problem is I don't know how to fix that

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe that it's probably corrupted windows that's my problem
A distinct possibility however you need to ask yourself why and how. Generally an OS doesn't become corrupted from a car ride or being moved from place to place.
Are all the parts you used in your build, new??
Although that really doesn't matter as you can get some bad parts anywhere and anytime.
Do you suspect a bad hard drive?

You best bet to get your machine up and running again as soon as possible might be a custom clean install.
Do you have backups of any critical data that might have been on the computer?

Can you obtain another hard drive and test your suspicions by performing a clean install on that, while removing the current one and setting it aside for safe keeping.

Reaction score
I purposefully didn't keep anything important on the SSD that has my os so I'm planning on just doing a wipe of the drive and doing a clean install of windows. The parts are almost exactly a year old and I've had no problems before this so I don't know what's happening. If this next install goes south as well I'll replace the SSD. Thanks for the help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.
It sounds like a hardware issue, but....
IF you can grab a copy of the dump file and zip it up and share it on your OneDrive or Gdrive, I'll take a look at see if it points to anything specific when I have some time.

Reaction score
Does the system have any built in diagnostics, such as LEDs or number displays on the motherboard?

I might think the system returning to the Bios may be a memory situation. If you built it yourself, you may recheck those settings. You might even set the Bios back to its default values.

Of course, when you leave a system alone, it starts doing things which may cause problems such as updates for either Windows or some Device.

There are some folks right now having a situation where the lock screen is out of focus and no logon screen is ever offered.

Reaction score
The blurred lock screen is a purposeful addition by Microsoft in the 1903 update. The fix is relatively easy.

Reaction score
I'd also agree that it sounds like a hardware issue. I would disconnect everything except the hard drive and see if it boots.If you can rule everything else out, it may just be a coincidence. I'd run memtest on each stick of ram to rule that out. If it still freezes with just the boot drive connected and you've done a clean install of Windows, that pretty much leaves power supply, cpu, or motherboard.

Reaction score

Ask a Question