Windows Live Mail folders

Reaction score
I am currently on Windows 7 and wanting to upgrade to Windows 10. With Windows 7 I'm saving important emails in folders . I am worried that when I upgrade I'll lose all these folders. What should I do?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi mendonca,

If you are still using Windows Live Mail 2011 version then this article takes you through the steps of backing up emails etcetera:

http://www.emailquestions.com/threads/how-to-backup-windows-live-mail-2011.2487/

Alternatively you can get a lot more information from Microsoft themselves:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/mail-import-backup-restore

On a side note I use Windows Live Mail myself and upgraded from Windows 7 Home Edition, to Windows 10. At the time I had Windows Live Essentials 2011 installed, and thus my mail was Windows Live Mail 2011 too.

I had no issues at all during the upgrade and my Windows Live Mail worked fine.

I've recently elected to upgrade to Windows Live Essentials 2012, and found that upgrade also went smoothly with no data losses. The only difference I've noticed was that when someone emails me with an attachment I now need to save the attachment somewhere first, to be able to open it. Previously, in WLM 2011 I was able to open it within the email if I wanted to.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you are using an outlook.com account, the following will be of interest to you.
I've received another Email today on this topic. As soon as WLM no longer functions, I'll be switching software alright. I'll be switching away from MS so that maybe, I won't have to switch again in the future.
Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012. Dear User, Earlier this year we announced updates to Outlook.com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done.

Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012
Dear User,

Earlier this year we introduced a new Outl‍ook‍.‍com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done. The new Outlo‍ok‍.‍com delivers an exciting set of new experiences across web, phone, and desktop, and we’re eager for you to start using it.
It appears that you are currently using Windows Live Mail 2012 to connect to your Out‍look‍.‍com account. Windows Live Mail 2012 does not support the synchronization technologies used by the new Outl‍ook‍.‍com. When account upgrades begin at the end of June, you will no longer be able to receive email sent to your Out‍look‍.‍com account in Windows Live Mail 2012. Rest assured, you can always access your email by logging into Out‍look‍.‍com from any web browser, and you will continue to have access to all your data that is currently in Windows Live Mail 2012.
If you currently use Windows Live Mail 2012, we recommend that you switch to the Mail app in Windows to‍day. The Mail app is built in to Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, and has a more modern design. To begin using it, simply launch the app and add your Out‍look‍.‍com account.
If you are using Windows 7, you can upgrade to a newer version of Windows to enjoy the Mail app and the other benefits. If you do not wish to upgrade, you can access your account via a web browser, or, you can take advantage of a free one-year subscription of Office 365 Personal, and use Outl‍ook 2016 to connect to your account.* This Off‍ice 365 subscription also includes other productivity applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel. It works on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10.
Please take action before Ju‍ne 30th, 2016, which is when we’ll begin upgrading accounts that currently use Windows Live Mail 2012. If you have more questions, please find answers to common FAQs in this help article, or you can contact Microsoft support.
We recognize that changes like this can be difficult, and apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. We hope that you’ll enjoy the benefits of moving to the new Outl‍ook‍.‍com.
Sincerely,
Outl‍ook‍.‍com team

*Must redeem by October 15, 2016. Valid for first time Office 365 subscriber. Credit card required; cancel anytime at www.office.com/myaccount. See full terms here.
Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our Privacy Statement.
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012. Dear User, Earlier this year we announced updates to Outlook.com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done.
div.preheader { display: none !important; }

Reaction score
There are several posts on the subject of the so-called WLM "Fix" IT was apparently sent in haste, and was not necessary.
I am using WLM happily, without the fix. fwiw, my attachments continue to open normally.
WLM is a free standing desktop Mail fetcher. It will continue to do that ad infinitum. My "cooperates" 100% with Outlook.com, in spite bo0f the warning.
For mendonca.What I did, a long time ago was copied the WLM fo0lder
C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

To C:

In WLM -File - Options -Mail - Advanced I pointed the store to my new folder.

I often do upgrades, update, reinstalls. Before I do so, I make sure that moved folder is in a safe place, and when I am completed with my updates, I move it back to C. again. My folders remain intact. Including old mail.

Regedit32

Reaction score
There are several posts on the subject of the so-called WLM "Fix" IT was apparently sent in haste, and was not necessary.
I am using WLM happily, without the fix. fwiw, my attachments continue to open normally.

What FixIT are you talking about? I did not download or recommend one in this thread?

I mentioned the attachment issue I noticed, but the only reason I ended up with WLM 2012 was because I made a choice to update WLE to 2012, and during the installation process although I had chosen to install only a single feature from this, the Installer decided it knew better and installed the entire package (including the 2012 live mail update.)

It's not really that big a deal to me whether I open an attachment within the e-mail or save it first before opening, given I generally save all the attachments ultimately anyway as they are business or family related documents.

The key point I was making was that both WLM 2011 and WLM 2012 work just fine in Windows 10 and migrate smoothly there.

Ask a Question