Windows lost its on-screen caps lock indicator?

Reaction score
Windows lost its on-screen caps lock indicator. I do not know where it went.

A box used to pop up when I turned caps lock on or off.

Can anyone tell me how to get this back?

Thank you for your help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

Have you recently change your keyboard, or the driver software for it?

If yes, that may be why the on screen caps lock indicator no longer appears as not all keyboards support this.

In that scenario you could download a third party application like TrayStatus to generate an icon in your System tray that will become green if caps lock is pressed: https://www.binaryfortress.com/TrayStatus/Download/

Alternatively, if you prefer not to use third party software, Windows 10 has an audible beep that will sound when caps lock is pressed which you can setup by doing the following:
  • Left-click on Notification icon in System tray
  • Left-click on All settings
  • Left-click on Ease of Access
  • In left pane click Keyboard
  • In right pane turn the toggle on under Toggle Keys as in sample image below

cl.png

If you have not changed keyboards and this indicator used to appear but now no longer appears, then right-click on Start and select Device Manager. When Device Manager opens expand Keyboard then right-click on your Keyboard and select Properties, then click the Driver tab. Here verify the driver in use is for your Keyboard and not a generic Windows driver.

If it has changed to a generic driver for Windows you can click update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer then select the driver for your particular keyboard.

That may resolve the issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
FWIW. You can immediately access the Ease of access panel with the windows key +U on most keyboards.

Ask a Question