SOLVED Windows Password

Reaction score
I have forgotten my computer entry password but know the PIN so can gain access with this. I have selected bypass altogether but this works only randomly. However, I would like to know the computer password as the one I try comes up incorrect, so I would need to change and reset. I have looked at some videos of how to do this, but it seems to hinge on what sort of account I have. On tracking this down, it says I have a password protected Administrator account. How would I go about changing the computer password? I do have a Microsoft Account password which I know, but I think this is not the same as the entry one.

Reaction score
Hi Josephine,

did you read from the bit:

"Create a New User to Save Account Files", it explains step by step what you must do, yes it is a little complicated but that's all I've got unless you want to follow my guide below:

Creating another account is a good option because you can at least gain access to your PC and save your files!. :)

Reaction score
That looks too hard for me and if I have to, I will never forget the PIN to get in as this does work and I wouldn't want to do all that unless I was locked out. Is there a definitive answer to the question whether the Microsoft password is the same as the computer password. I have had a look around, but there seems to be no clear yes or no.

Reaction score
The definitive answer is as follows. Local account with login password or without (you don't have to use a PW when setting up a local account as you can just put in a user name when first installing!). An MS account which requires your MS account name and PW. Further security is provided by the PIN if you want an extra layer of security and/or PIN login!. :)

Reaction score
Sorry to be dense but what is a local account as opposed to the only one I see listed for myself as Administrator Password Protected? Can I change the password on that one or are you saying I have to create an additional account?

Reaction score
.?? Then there doesnt appear to be a problem( ?)
log in with your ms account and change the local account password in the account settings

Reaction score
If you can't remember the PW, and it is a local account, back up all your important data/files to an external medium first, then create a new account and delete the old one!. That is the simple solution!. :)

Ask a Question