WINDOWS SECURITY

Reaction score
I have my three computers networked and I have always been able to access any one of them at will. New Windows 10 want my credentials. I have never had any and really don't want or need any for my purposes. How can I avoid setting up this type of unnecessary step? Please advise. Thanks.

Reaction score
Check your Homegroup settings and make sure that all the systems are part of the same Homegroup. Just FYI, Homegroup sharing is a lot slower than using saved credentials.

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. After checking my three computers I find that perhaps my Home Group disappeared when I upgraded to ver. 1604. On each of the devices when I click on Home Group I am invited to join which indicates to me that my Home Group no longer exists So if I start a new Home Group that might solve the problem. But I am interested in your input about credentials. Are you saying that my three computers can share files and printers just by having credentials setup? I have always had all three computers showing up under NETWORK and HOME GROUP. I had never heard about credentials. Does setting up credentials mean I am networked locally? Or is "network" something else entirely. Could you explain more fully how to set that up? It would be very much appreciated? Thank you again for your time and knowledge.

Reaction score
Turn on file sharing for Private Networks. You can setup shares on each system with just the directory you want to share. Share with only the accounts you want to share with. For example, I use the same Windows email account to log into all four of my Windows systems. Since the password is the same for all, you can setup sharing for that one person only. You can also setup sharing for Everyone, but it's a little less secure. To share a directory, right-click on it and select 'Share with'. The dialogue box will come up so you can choose who to share with.

You can do the same or use different accounts, but you have to enter the credentials for that user on that system. Once you do that and select remember credentials, it will allow you to browse, edit or delete files on the other system (depending on the rights you setup).

Ask a Question