Windows Storage Spaces partition missing

Reaction score
this is really odd.. I have a 4 bay icy dock connected via usb3. It has 4 2TB drives in it which I made a storage space out of . now its been working great for about 6 months. yesterday when I turned it on the drive didn't auto mount. So I check the device manager first to make sure it was detected, which it was. then I checked disk management and nothing was there. So I checked the storage spaces area and again nothing.

I created a virtual raid in r-studio for the 4 drives and started a scan on it and its finding data, I just don't understand why windows has seemingly just lost all configuration settings for these drive beyond simply detecting them as devices.

Reaction score
Okay, R-Studio recovered everything I need. but the drives are still only being detected in the device manager, meaning I can't format them, or modify them in any way. I have already taken them out and connected them directly with the same out come..

Reaction score
When you say storage space are you referring to using the external device in a Windows Storage Spaces you set up? Doesn't the external seen as one drive or can you select the drives separately?

If you are simply talking about an external drive, you might try another USB port or reboot the system a couple of times without the drive present. Sometimes Windows seem to loose drives and needs to be reintroduced.

Reaction score
Yes, I used the four disk in my icy dock to create a storage pool. now when I turn it on the devices are detected.. and that's about it. heres some images..

DM.jpg Dm1.jpg DM2.jpg SP.jpg

This is what happens in my computer, connected via USB or connected directly to the mobo. and in my son's computer..
PS; never mind the warning on drive L;, its saying the drive is low on space but it really isn't.

Reaction score
I have been hoping some one with more experience with Storage Spaces would see the problem, but I suppose you are left with just me.

One of your attachments seems to show 8 drives. Are the Seagate drives different from the eSata drives? is

All of them seem to show dynamic and that is where I get confused. Is that because of the Virtual RAID you set up?

There was a warning, about some WD drives that had special parking procedures, might lose drives. But that was the Red and maybe Blue versions.

Right now, with my limited experience, all I might suggest is to rebuild the pool.

Reaction score
thats the problem, I do not have access to the drives with-in the native windows environment to modify the drive in ANY way. the only way I was able to get to them was by using R-studio. at this point I just want to format the drives and rebuild my pool.
the image of the device manager showing the drives in the red box.. those drives show up NO WHERE else. they are detected as drives by they are accessible by any other means.

Reaction score
The JMicron designation you show on the drives in the Red Box would appear to be the 4 drives in the icy dock when using the eSATA connection. You don't have both the USB and eSATA connected concurrently?

Disk 3, 7, and 10, what are those specifically? You do actually have at least 9 drives on that system? If so, I assume the icy dock is externally powered but you still have quite a load on there.

Have you tried breaking down the Storage Spaces and going back to just the Icy dock to see you that will work?

Do you believe the Storage Spaces is the problem or something else accessing the drives..?

Have you tried the Icy dock on another machine?

Ask a Question