Windows Time Keeps Skipping

Reaction score
Ok, so this is a bit of a doozy, see this has been plaguing my pc for a year now and I have tried pretty much every conventional solution I could find on the interwebs. My time keeps being moved forwards by 2 hours, sometimes by 4, immediately, no this is not time zones messing up before it used to be worse when it also moved me a few months forward. So, let's list the main suggestion, CMOS Battery I have replaced that already, twice, I have tried changing the windows time servers and none helped, in services Windows Time is set to launch Automatically. I have also completely reinstalled windows, apps and files too, and that made it worse (which was about 3 months ago) because it went from being changed to going forward once or twice a week to moving two hours "and a few months" a couple of times per day, in the last couple of weeks the time is still going forwards a couple of times per day but it is only by 2 hours, not months. The main culprit seems to be task scheduler because SynchronizeTime service works fine and I can add triggers to it, but ForceSyncronizeTime is broken because if I try to change something then it comes up with the error "Task Scheduler Service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it." I have looked up how to fix this, but all I could find is that you have to uncheck Start only if the following network connection is available but I cannot uncheck it because the error comes up before I can make any changes to it.
This has been screwing up many of my apps like Streamlabs because it causes the software to freeze and it doesn't want to shut down unless I use task manager. The only fix I have is to manually turn "Set time automatically" in settings off and back on every time the time is incorrect. I really need some professional help on this one because this is a very unique big out there and I cannot find any fixes, and I don't know if this is due to software or if my motherboard is broken. Please give any and all suggestions I will try to answer asap

Reaction score
Have you tried turning off "Set time automatically" and leave it off then setting the time manually? When first turning on the computer and accessing the BIOS is the time setting in it being retained? Windows shouldn't change that.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm actually following that exact advice from a different forum I'm getting help from, so far it is ok but I can't say for sure if it is fixed because sometimes the pc starts without messing up the time for a while. The time was correct in BIOS

Reaction score
That does help narrow the problem down to Windows, when was the last time, if ever, was a clean reinstall done?

Reaction score
Sadly, I just came back from dinner and the time has skipped forwards by 2h, so i did a soft wipe (without a usb stick and it kept programs and personal files) 2 days ago with no effect, and I also did a factory wipe (with usb stick and it deleted everything) I did that about 3 months ago. The reason I did it that was because after not having the time issue for about a year, it came back and I did that reinstall but it only got worse because I couldn't find a fix and the time was being skipped consistently 4h and 4 months ahead, after a few weeks (which is 2 months ago from now) i applied some fixes and so far the time has only gone up by 2 to 4h without adding months to the clock, but it has gotten much more consistent and is happening a few time a day, today there has been 3 or 4.

Reaction score
The only thing that my mind comes up with is if the computer is connected to a Web site at the time, if it occurs while/after visiting a certain site, variable things like that which can cause issues not controllable by the user.

Reaction score
The only consistent website which could cause this is youtube, and yes I have the latest Win 10 version

Reaction score
Are you using a VPN?, if you are you may be using a site that is in a different time zone to you and that might also be the reason it changes?????.

Clicking on "Sync now" works for me when my clock is out due to dual booting with Linux!.

time.jpg

Reaction score
I'm not using a vpn, and when I tried using Sync Now when the time was wrong it failed, the only thing which reverts the time is switching "set time automatically" off and on

Reaction score
mine is correct even though at the time of snipping that the clock is 2h ahead again, btw I found out that when going into bios (instead of restarting the clock) the time is also wrong in the bios, so does that mean its a windows issue or a motherboard issue?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.6 KB · Views: 152
Reaction score
the time is also wrong in the bios, so does that mean its a windows issue or a motherboard issue?
That could well be a sign that the CMOS battery is possibly failing however; you said that you replaced it twice but what is the use by date on the package as they may have been old stock if you bought a few together?. :)

Have you done a BIOS upgrade at all?. ;)

Reaction score
bought them new and tried both batteries with neither helping, (even though they do work with my rgb remotes)

Reaction score
Do you have any 3rd party apps installed like browser extensions or something similar that could cause the problem?. :)

Reaction score
Well if the time skip persists in the bios then surely this isnt caused by some app or extension, but the ones i have are grammarly, honey and adblock

Reaction score
Basically the CMOS stores the BIOS settings that users can adjust. Those settings are saved until the battery dies or is removed IF the power to the motherboard is still plugged in. It's entirely possible to change the battery while the computer is plugged in but one has to be extremely careful. Most but not all CR-2032 batteries [most common type] can be lifted out when released by using a magnetic probe but again, have to be very careful.

The BIOS is read by the Operating System as it is loading to know what it has available so Yes, it is important the BIOS be set correctly as that is what will be used.

Ask a Question