Windows Update disruption

Reaction score
Once again I left Windows working over night just to find it had rebooted and closed the application I had open and working. All because I can't control when my machine reboots. And no one with power will make Microsoft change their ways.

Reaction score
May be you need to change your active hours so that the computer will not restart while your using it. Click the start button\settings\update & security. Right under update settings you will see "change active hours." Just a thought.

Reaction score
I must have been unclear. I was leaving my computer on all night while I wasn't using it. The point was to allow it to work while I and no one else was up and using the Internet.

Reaction score
Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Dave I do believe that is what Cajun referred to. That doesn't work for me at all. Scheduling updates is one thing. But reboots is disruptive. If I can't mentally remember when the updates are scheduled, I'm not going to remember when not to have my computer working all night. If I could mentally remember when the updates were scheduled, I wouldn't need to set the schedule. I don't care about the automatic updates. It is the reboots that are unacceptable. It is the reboots that make me want to turn the whole mess off.

Reaction score
OK. My updates aren't entirely within my control. But I have changed the "active hours" to something that suits me. I have also selected the option to show a reminder when ta restart is due. Certainly, with the settings I have at present,
I cannot recall ever having a sudden restart without my knowledge. You may be encountering a problem, of course, if you leave the computer in the active state all night. If you set the active hours for the overnight period, I would have thought that might have resolved the problem.

Reaction score
I'm having major issues with auto reboots and updates as well. Its getting incredibly frustrating. I also have to let my computer run in the evening in order to process files so when it reboots unexpectedly, I loose everything. I've also been using the "change active hours" feature but it doesn't really work... right now I'm trying to work on my computer and its doing a huge update during my "active hours". Its majorly slowing my computer down, almost unworkable and I can't stop the update. Its making me feel like the "change active hours" is just a placebo. Days like these are making me regret that I switched to Windows 10 and I am seriously considering switching back to windows 7. I used to love windows... now I'm really starting to hate it... wishing Microsoft didn't take control away from the users.

Reaction score
Clifford I believe you should be implementing Dave's suggestion.
Cajun and Dave's suggestions are both different. Cajun is referring to PCs active hour settings to allow reboot. Dave's suggestion is for choosing the PC restart time after updates. Both are different options and behave differently. However I'm not saying there's no overlap in the two settings. The inactive hours settings isn't designed for a work around for avoiding unexpected reboots after an update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Clifford any word ending in ion is not good news.
Use the restart settings option (there's that ion word again) and choose a day for restart.

Reaction score
Clifford, I totally agree with you... this forced automation thing really blows, I preferred getting a notification when Windows has an update, one that would give the option to pick when to download, install and/or reboot. Wish Microsoft would give some of that flexibility back again.

Looking at the "schedule the restart settings" there's a button for Show More notifications "On"... I switched this to the on position and now I get a notification asking me if I want to postpone the restart... which is great but does any one know what will happen if this notification window pops up while the computer is running processes at night and no one is there to receive it? Will it just happily and patiently wait until someone responds to the notification or will it just time out and reboot on its own?

Reaction score
I'm glad you have good Internet Norton. Around here Internet sux. And when you have a house full of machines automatically updating, it will lag the whole network down. And it does it regardless whether you want it to or not. It's not as simple as choosing a day or else we would have the option to turn it off. For the record I have no idea what you are talking about with "ion", not all words are negative in their meaning.

Reaction score
Unfortunately MS want one platform for all Windows 10 users. Selecting what updates or how the OS is controlled is no longer an option. Their upgrade was free (for now) so we have to live with WYSIWYG.

Reaction score
I'm glad you have good Internet Norton. Around here Internet sux. And when you have a house full of machines automatically updating, it will lag the whole network down. And it does it regardless whether you want it to or not. It's not as simple as choosing a day or else we would have the option to turn it off. For the record I have no idea what you are talking about with "ion", not all words are negative in their meaning.

Cliiford Automation, Pollution, Electification and MS favorite word Discontiuation....

Ask a Question