Windows updates corrupting Window Live Mail

Reaction score
I have 2 friends who both use WLM 2012. They recently installed Windows updates and now WLM gives error 0x800C013E. Most of the suggestions on the internet relate to backing up messages and contacts, uninstalling WLM, reinstalling and restoring files. Has anyone found an easier solution to this problem please ?

Reaction score
What has been suggested is really the only way, fortunately I've had only one client using WLM. Since it was discontinued there won't be much if any help from Microsoft, similar for IncrediMail which has been discontinued.

The only Microsoft solutions seem to be Microsoft Office/Outlook or the free online/Webmail called Outlook.com [replacement for Hotmail]. There's some other free things such as Thunderbird, SeaMonkey browser with E-Mail. I think the Vivaldi browser also has an E-Mail function but haven't check for sure. https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts-1356641

Edited for typo.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gmail is unaffected by Windows updates. Not the most feature rich email but it does work everywhere and just about on every device.

I use Thunderbird as an on-PC client and Gmail's client everywhere else.

Ask a Question