Windows updates fail to install

Reaction score
Windows updates KB4013429 kb4015438 kb4016635 have all failed to install some of them many times. I have them all on my desktop and have tried installing them as stan alone. I have run the windows updates trouble shooter many times. What else can I try?

Attachments

• windows updates.jpg
    windows updates.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 654

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi woldsweather,

Assuming those earlier two updates completely failed to install, then the more recent KB4016635 update would be either 569 MB (for a 32-bit OS) or a shade over 1 GB (for a 64-bit OS). That would be a lot of unpacking into what may all ready be a rather cluttered SoftwareDistribution folder.

Renaming or Deleting this folder may improve you chances of successfully installing the latest KB package you downloaded as a stand-alone installer.

Note: If you delete or rename the SoftwareDistribution folder your Update History will be lost, although the actual successful updates will still be there; you just won't be able to see them when you click View History in the Windows Update console.

To rename or delete the Software Distribution folder do the following:
  • Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompt appears
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window type:

Code:
    net stop wuauserv

Press Enter key to execute

Now type:

Code:
    net stop bits

• It's possible neither of these Services were started and if that is the case you'll be told that in the command prompt console, however, if they were running then you will see a message telling you they were stopped successfully. In either case the next thing to do is to delete or rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.
  • Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows
  • Inside the Windows folder locate the SoftwareDistribution folder and either:
    • Right-click on SoftwareDistribution folder and select Rename and name it SoftwareDistribution.bak, or
    • Right-click on SoftwareDistribution folder and select Delete then confirm deletion if prompted.
  • Now return to the Administrator: Command Prompt and type the following:

Code:
    net start wuauserv

Now type:

Code:
    net start bits

• Close the Administrator: Command Prompt console. A new SoftwareDistribution folder will have been automatically created waiting and ready for your next Windows update.

Restart your computer and see whether you can now install the KB4016635 update, or if you prefer one of the earlier ones.

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
When was the last time you ran Disk Cleanup?

These installations unpack a tonne of files so you need space for the installations to work.

Regedit32

Reaction score
That depends on what settings you run ccleaner on.

Disk Cleanup followed by selected System clean would deal with the area that if over full will prevent installation of updates, so I'd lean towards using the tools provided by Microsoft on this issue.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Electronic Software Delivery [ESD] files are how Microsoft delivers files for upgrading your OS. Inside that will be a windows image file.

Assuming this is one of the older ones then yes, delete it.

The only thing I'd leave for now is any Windows.old folders. These contain third party applications and some of their data that could not be carried into the New OS until you reinstall those applications when the upgrade is done. There may be data there you want to keep so don't delete any Windows.old folders / files until you're sure you do not need them any longer.

Reaction score
O dear I deleted windows.old several months ago as I thought it was there because of a windows reinstall.

Not sure where we go from here, some updates have recently installed (attached) but KB4015217 KB4013429 and KB4016635 failed. Do I still need these? Will the new big update that's coming solve everything?

Attachments

• Update History.jpg
    Update History.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 635

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
You likely have a previous update causing the failure, and when you manage to get past that you will also run into further issues with KB4013429 which will block KB4015438.

So try to uninstall previous updates that have been superseded and let windows update install the newer revision for those, whatever you do, make sure once KB4013429 is installed that you remove it, so that newer updates like KB4015438 wont fail.

Reaction score
Well kinda but a whole lotta new probs. Can't access action centre despite a flag showing 3 message there. cany adjust volume with the volume icon, no amount of googling solves these probs.

Ask a Question