Windows updates on 8-8-17

Reaction score
Updates came through Windows 10 yesterday and everything went fine on my old desktop computer.

When I went to close down my laptop last night it showed there were updates and asked if I wanted to run and close down, or run and restart. I selected to run and close down.

Tonight I booted the laptop up and it seems to be finishing install of updates, however, I keep getting the same 3 messages that flash onto the screen and this has been going on now for at least 20 minutes so I'm getting concerned.

The messages are:
We have some updates for your PC.
This might take a few minutes.
Hi

I can't believe it should be taking this long. Can someone please help?

Later ... After those three messages flashing over and over on my screen for about 3 hours, I figured there had to be something wrong. I shut down, then restarted and it booted to my desktop.

I checked Update History and it shows 2 instances of KB4034674 successfully installed. One installed last night and one tonight. Is there someone who has any idea of what is going on with this?

I think I have this in the wrong forum but I don't know how to transfer it to the right one.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
You are in the correct section for your question.

It sounds to me like for some unknown reason your System logs did not reflect the initial update and its successful installation (possible because it was not completed given you chose the option to close down.

Then as a result it effectively updated a second time making use of the fact your router became available during the 'Hi, we have updates for you' portion of booting to the Desktop.

Then as that second update was installed, it picked up the previous attempt and thus you resulted with a duplicate entry in your Update History. While that is annoying, its perfectly fine, and assuming no other issues have arisen, it would be safe to leave things as they are, and continue using Windows 10 [ now updated ].

Reaction score
Thank you. I was really concerned about this but your answer has set my mind at ease. I haven't noticed any problems so far. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Ask a Question