Windows went back to default wallpaper.

AGB

Reaction score
I have a home built Desk Top Computer and when I turned it on this morning and when it finished booting I had lost a lot of my icons and what was there all moved to the left side of the screen and the wallpaper went back to the Windows 10 Default. Also the Application short cut screen that comes up when you left click on the Windows icon in the bottom left enlarged and took up half my screen. I tried to adjust it by using the mouse and dragging it but that wouldn't work either. About a month or little more ago I had upgraded from Win 7 Home Prem with no problems at all. It has been working fine until this morning. I had to go back to a restore point to correct it. My wife has a Toshiba Laptop that I upgraded about the same time and hers did the same thing except that she didn't loose her Icons or wallpaper they all just moved to the left of the screen. All I had to do with hers was relocate the icons. What is causing this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm going to take a wild guess, since ......
I had to go back to a restore point to correct it
Seems to have fixed the issue, that you received a Windows Update there are a couple big important ones being pushed now from Microsoft ( the November cumulative update and even more intense, the new public release of the latest build 1511 TH_2) which is practically equivalent to a new Operating 'System (minimally a very critical and large Service Pack).
Depending on your (and her) machines configuration (software as well as hardware) the updates may have produced varied results.
Sounds like in your case that perhaps a GPU driver might have gotten scrabbled (or possibly just updated) and needed attention, either a reconfiguration of your display settings or a re-install of the proper driver.

Ask a Question