Windows will only boot if there is a flash drive connected

Reaction score
My pc will only boot if there is a usb flash drive connected to it, on any port, it doesn't matter if it's empty or not.
First if no flash drive was connected I got a black screen, I made de C: drive active and I got File \Boot\BCD missing error, tried rebuilding the bcd using the command promp, and also making a copy from E (System partition) boot files to C using bcdboot, same issue. So I ran the windows repair tool, and now I'm back to the black screen if not flash drive is connected.
Again the flash drive can be empty, for some reason it needs it to boot.
Got any ideas?
Thanks in advanced for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First off.... Hello and welcome to the forum, then I want to say.......
Holy Cow... you really gotta love this stuff!!! :)
In can be empty / blank..... I wonder if it needs to be formatted?

The only thing that even comes to mind is that at some point in the boot process when Windows is enumerating hardware, specifically available hard disks, that it needs that drive to place things in the proper order???

Have you check the BIOS boot order? Does it see your Windows 10 drive as being set to first in the boot order?
When the machine is running does you Windows hard disk have the appropriate partitions.

I think I'd hit it with EasyBCD and see if that would have any impact,
https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/basics/changing-the-boot-partition/
I believe there is still a free edition available.

Please let us know if you get this thing sorted.
Very interesting, to say the least.

Ask a Question