SOLVED Windows won't start and installation USB drive won't work

Reaction score
Even though my computer worked fine before I left for my vacation, I still saw the following screen after I returned immediately when I turned it on.
P02-27-16_13.40.jpg

I put in my windows 10 installation usb drive and press F12 for the boot menu.
P02-27-16_13.41.jpg

And this screen comes up.

P02-27-16_17.33.jpg

I choose the bottom one(the windows 10 installation usb drive) and the following error screen comes up.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc & reboot.
2. Choose language and click next.
3. Click "Repair your computer".

If you don't have this disc, contact your system administrator or manufacturer for assistance.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

WTF!!!! How dare it says insert the installation media when I already have it inserted!!!! What do I do to start windows again?!? I'm seriously gonna trash everything in my room to hell if "buy a new computer" is the only solution. Please God don't let it be the only solution.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wouldn't think, that a "new computer" would be the first option.
Do you have a backup of all the critical data on the computer?

Have you tried the USB ThumbDrive in other USB ports on the computer?

Have you tried building a new installation media by re-writing the ISO to the thumb drive again.

Have you considered creating a bootable DVD to see if that works.

And just to double check your work, see if producing a Linux Live boot device works where the Windows boot device doesn't.
Might be worth a test, to see...
https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=205
Do not install it, just test in the live environment.
That might also allow you to backup your critical data, if you haven't done so already.

Reaction score
I've backed up most of the things I need. I've also created a system image.

I've tried using the installation usb drive on other ports and the error screen still comes up instead of what normally appears when I use the drive.

In the first picture above, it says "press esc for UEFI Firmware Settings" but it doesn't tell me what firmware settings I should change. What exactly do I have to do for that? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In the first picture above, it says "press esc for UEFI Firmware Settings" but it doesn't tell me what firmware settings I should change. What exactly do I have to do for that? Thanks in advance for your assistance
Typically, or maybe ideally, you wouldn't want to mess with your BIOS settings.
AND
Depending on the System Setup Utility (BIOS) you may not be able to change much, if any thing.
Rarely and I stress rarely..... It might help booting from external media (if they are not UEFI compatible) to turn off "Secure Boot" if that is an option some very new computers do not support that.
Switching from UEFI to something like UEFI + Legacy might also help when booting from external media if they are not UEFI compatible.
IF..... you decide to go forward and make some changes, just make note of what you changed (from what to what) and where you changed it so you can at least undo those changes should they prove detrimental overall.

Reaction score
Sorry that it took me so long to answer but I found a solution. I went to BIOS, went to the authentication tab, disabled secure boot, went to boot options and set "launch csm" to always. It allowed me to finally use the windows 10 installation usb drive(i wasn't able to before, remember?). I was unable to repair anything or use the system image for some odd reason so I just re-installed windows 10, something i was hoping that i wouldn't need to do but I'll stop at nothing to use my computer again. This problem is no solved. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
It might be interesting to see your Disk Management picture to confirm how the reinstall was done.

Was you computer fairly new and come with Windows 8, 8.1 installed originally?

Did you try booting to the Windows Boot Manager?

Where did your "Media" come from since it is not labeled the same as my Windows 10 Recovery Media?

If you do keep Recovery Media, you may want to remake it after some large upgrade such as a build change.

Reaction score
Even though my computer worked fine before I left for my vacation, I still saw the following screen after I returned immediately when I turned it on.
View attachment 2485

I put in my windows 10 installation usb drive and press F12 for the boot menu.
View attachment 2487

And this screen comes up.

View attachment 2486

I choose the bottom one(the windows 10 installation usb drive) and the following error screen comes up.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc & reboot.
2. Choose language and click next.
3. Click "Repair your computer".

If you don't have this disc, contact your system administrator or manufacturer for assistance.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

WTF!!!! How dare it says insert the installation media when I already have it inserted!!!! What do I do to start windows again?!? I'm seriously gonna trash everything in my room to hell if "buy a new computer" is the only solution. Please God don't let it be the only solution.

Reaction score
I bought “A DEAL ON-A-DELL” Inspiron 11 3162/3164 DELL Laptop with Win 10 installed on a 32Gb SSD (SSD turned out to be a 32Gb eMMC card (but not a “REAL” SSD drive)for less than $200.00

Service Tag: 56KWYB2 Express Service Code: 11281838510

Error code 0xc000000f (broke PC) Warranty: Expired

I was using Google Chrome Remote Desktop (from one of my Dell Desktop PCs) to enable the Windows 10 update on the laptop.

NOTE: The little laptop did not have enough storage space to update Win 10 so I had previously installed a 64Gb SanDisk Ultra Plus Micro SD XC1 card and programmed the laptop to store Win 10 updates to the card.

Error code 0xc000000f I ran Dell diagnostics using the onboard complete Diagnostic Scan

Results: all tests PASS except "No Hard Drive"

I may have deleted or formatted the eMMC-card while attempting to clear space for Win 10 on the SD card.

I have the DELL recovery media USB Boot drive but am unable to manage the new UEFI bios to boot from the USB Drive so to be able

to install Win 10 to the eMMC Unified Extensible Firmware Interface drive.

Ask a Question