WindowsImage Backup and FileHistory

Reaction score
If I have a WindowsImageBackup, do I need a FileHistory also? I need to free up space on my external hard drive and it seems to me that FileHistory is redundant if I have an ImageBackup. Thanks, Dave

Reaction score
How did you do the Image backup??
Did you use the build-in feature??
or did you use external apps like Acronis, Macrium Reflect and others??

If you have used the build-in feature (the old Windows7 backup and restore tool), you are doing yourself not a favor as it is very unreliable and backups can seldom be restored from that.

Reaction score
Let me put it another way. If I choose to use the Windows System image, will I have the last version of all of my files? That is all I want. So then I wouldn't need FileHistory, then, because it takes up a lot of room.

Reaction score
Windows image will have all files on the PC up to the date of the image - nothing newer.
File History if set to backup every hour will have all files which were added to the History backup up to the last hour’s FH backup.
File History will always be more up to date.

You can always run File History cleanup to remove ‘all but the latest version’ of the files & this will clean up space on the drive.

Macrium can be run to Image the drive daily & with Ver 8 (not yet released) it can be set to backup hourly. As Windows backup is deprecated this is a viable option for backups/images.

Ask a Question