Won't Pin Programs to Start Menu

Reaction score
Recently purchased new PC with Windows 10. Had 10 on old computer, so understand how it works.

I started adding apps to it that I use regularly. I removed all the apps from the start menu I don't use. I starting adding new apps to start menu. I added 2 apps, and now it won't let me add any new apps to start menu.

I have searched this topic online to death and have tried some suggestions with no success. It will now let me add an app to the start menu, but if I try to move it, it disappears. If I delete any apps from the start menu, it reappears on the next boot.

Help...

Reaction score
A couple of things I've learned, one is the Start Menu/Start Button is not where the Pin to Start puts things, look at the bottom of the list of Tiles for what you added then can move them around. For some things, mostly using the Create Shortcut feature of older versions of Windows I create them on the Desktop then I can right-click and Pin to Taskbar. Some things just won't go directly to the Start. It's still possible to right-click the Taskbar, click Toolbars and enable the the Desktop Toolbar on the Taskbar and get all the shortcuts/items showing there.

Reaction score
A couple of things I've learned, one is the Start Menu/Start Button is not where the Pin to Start puts things, look at the bottom of the list of Tiles for what you added then can move them around. For some things, mostly using the Create Shortcut feature of older versions of Windows I create them on the Desktop then I can right-click and Pin to Taskbar. Some things just won't go directly to the Start. It's still possible to right-click the Taskbar, click Toolbars and enable the the Desktop Toolbar on the Taskbar and get all the shortcuts/items showing there.

I don't like all the programs I use pinned to the taskbar. I never had any problem on my old computer of printing to the start menu, so this has me baffled.

Reaction score

Just so you know, I took another approach and just restored the computer to where it was before it installed updates. I had to reinstall about 5 programs, but it kept all their data, and it started pinning to the start menu again. I waited until the updates downloaded again, restarted and they are still working fine. Might have been a problem with me installing programs to fast. At least it is working now...

Ask a Question